1. Tomorrow, I have the day off. Which is a good thing. However, it is still supposed to be too hot for April, and I have an appointment at the endodontist's office to finish up my root canal. (You remember the endodontist, right?) So long, future paychecks!
2. Kim and her family have been sadly affected by the shootings in Athens, Georgia that are in the news. Please keep them in your thoughts.
3. I have to miss Maryland Sheep & Wool this year, which is tres disappointing. Not just because I like looking at/feeling/buying yarn, but I'll have to miss the Rosie's bus trip, which is always fun, and I won't be able to see and pet (ogle and annoy?) the sheep, llamas, alpacas, bunnies, etc. that are always there, or see the dog trials. I think I will have to order a shirt, though, because, well - LOOK:
4. I was sorry to hear that Bea Arthur had died. I always liked her deep voice (probably because mine is so average), and also because the characters she played always appealed to me. I especially enjoy listening to the song "Bosom Buddies" (lyrics here), sung by her and Angela Lansbury on the soundtrack to Mame.
5. If you want to try a wonderful coffee cake, this recipe rocks! I made one this past Monday, when it was a rainy and cold day, and it was the perfect antidote to the gloom. Needless to say, it's also yummy on a day that is too hot for April ...
6. Jetsam would like me to tell you that life is unfair when you need to sit on a windowsill to snoop-ervise the birds and squirrels in the tree outside the bedroom window, but the windowsill is too skinny! (I've been hearing quite a bit about this in the last few days, and it's not even because he is, er, "full-figured" - it is a really small windowsill, none of the cats can sit there.)
7. I looked up "retsin" after so many of you mentioned it in relationship to my reference to Certs in the last post. Actually spelled "Retsyn," it is:
"a trademarked name for a combination of copper gluconate and partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, held by Cadbury Adams (a division of Cadbury Schweppes). It is an ingredient in Certs, Certs Cool Mint Drops, and Certs Power Mints.
According to a Pfizer FAQ Page, Retsyn, in addition to the flavor, is responsible for the efficacy of Certs against breath odors. The hydrogenated vegetable oil and the copper gluconate absorb odors in the mouth. The copper gluconate is also responsible for Retsyn's green color." (Found here.)
( I would just like to point out that it consists of two! Two! Two ingredients in one!)
8. If you are in Philadelphia today, and would like to meet Ysolda, she is appearing at Rosie's from 2-5 p.m. this afternoon, and will be signing copies of her new book, Whimsical Little Knits. A few months ago, I had invited her to stay with us while she was in Philadelphia, and she had accepted. Then I got a new job, and realized I wouldn't be able to be a decent hostess, since I wouldn't be able to spend much time at all with her. I had to then un-invite her, which was a) embarrassing, b) disappointing. She was nice about it, to her credit. But still ... le sigh, you know?
9. A while ago, some kind fellow blogger was nice enough to give me one of those awards that tend to float around from time to time. I remember thinking that it was so nice of them, since they were a relatively new blogging friend. At the time, I was in the middle of several other things, and figured I'd get back to it. I never have, and now I can't remember who named me as a recipient, or what the award was. So if that person is reading, a) thank you, and b) I apologize for not following up, or even acknowledging it. I don't mean to seem ungrateful, and I wasn't ignoring you on purpose.
10. The snippet above came into my brain because Melanie was nice enough to recently name me for a Let's Be Friends Award!
"Blogs that receive the Let’s Be Friends Award are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers.Blogs that receive the Let’s Be Friends Award are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers."
First of all, thank you Melanie! I don't think of myself or my blog as "charming," much less "exceedlingly" so, but it's nice that you do ...
I am forwarding this to the following people, who are, of course under no obligation to do anything about it, other than be eternally grateful to me:
1. Lisa, from The Kitchen of Queen La La. She is one of my best friends in person, and reading her blog makes me laugh sometimes, but hungry all of the time! She has twins who are just as funny as their mom, an awesome husband (Poor Jerry), a crazy dog named Remy, and a lovebird named Edgar who is one of Tess' minions in her Kitty Jihad and World Domination Plan (KJWDP). (What does it say about Tess that her mission has inspired a lovebird??)
2. Lorraine, from The Sheriff of Knittingham. She is a pretty amazing designer, but she is also funny, goofy, irreverent, and crazy about animals like I am. She is also my comrade in an intense dislike of Julia Roberts.
3. Brigitte, from Wrapped Around My Finger. She is a lot of fun, we share many of the same sensibilities. Plus she has three cats, one of whom (Atticus) is a Canadian lieutenant in Tess' Kitty Jihad and World Domination Plan (KJWDP). She is one of the few people who always gets my references to "The Simpsons" ...
4. Chan, from Chan Knits. A fairly new blogfriend, she is someone I think I would really enjoy knowing in person as well. Plus, she is mom to Sissy and Gretchen, two of the sweetest and cutest pups ever!
5. Carrie K, from My Middle Name is Patience. Once again, someone I think would be just as much fun in person as she is online. Her commentary on her knitting, reading, and TV-watching nearly always makes me laugh out loud. And her cat Hez is one of my faves.
6. Jenn, from Weirdy Pants. Another person who makes me laugh, and who holds a lot of the same weird opinions that I do. Her dog Rufus' adventures are hilarious, and I would love to meet both of them in person.
And I know I am supposed to be naming eight people, but I'm stopping at these six, because it's too hot for April and my brain is starting to power down. And friends don't let friends write blog posts while foggy ...