This week: 10 Guilty Pleasures on TV
OK, most of the shows I go out of my way to watch are not ones I would consider to be guilty pleasures. And on occasion, if I am flipping the channel and something catches my eye, I'll sit there and watch it, at least for a little while to see how good or bad (OK, usually bad) it is ...
1. America's Next Top Model - I have actually watched a few complete episodes of this, and find it to be hilarious (I know it's not supposed to be). My favorite was the time they were doing a Q&A with the contestants, and a judge (Twiggy, I think) told the girl that she reminded her of Audrey Hepburn. The girl responded (excitedly), "Oh thank you! I loved her in 'Lunch at Tiffany's!'" Then she realized she had made a mistake and said, "Oh! I mean 'Dinner at Tiffany's!'"
2. Beauty and the Geek - as with the show above, I've seen a few complete episodes of this, and have nearly fallen off the couch laughing. My favorite was the time one of the "beauties" was responding to answers in a History Quiz Challenge. Questioner: Who was the President who wrote the Emancipation Proclamation? Beauty (after much thought): Herbert Hoover? Questioner: No, it was Abraham Lincoln. Beauty (stomping foot): Oh that's right - Herbert Hoover is D-Day!
3. The Biggest Loser - actually not a guilty pleasure per se, but it fascinates me. And it's one of the few reality shows that actually seem to be looking out for the contestants.
4. South Park - rude and stupid. But "Helen Keller the Musical" is classic!
5. Family Guy - rude and stupid. But they get in some good digs and get away with it.
6. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - ridiculous and wrong. But so worth it.
7. Dexter - should I really like a show about a serial killer? Especially one who you worry will actually be caught?
8. Dr Phil/Jerry Springer/Montel Williams/
- I can't usually stomach an entire episode of any of these types of shows, but a few minutes of Which Man is My Baby's Daddy?, or My Daughter is a Slut Because I Dress Sexy, etc. makes you feel a lot better about yourself.
9. Charlie's Angels (first season with Farrah - RIP) - occasionally I'll come across a rerun of this. Oh my God - such hair! Such dialogue! Such plots!
10. Hawaii Five-O - once again, an occasional rerun. Jack Lord had such range - he could act every emotion from A to B. "Book 'em, Danno!" (Why didn't Danno ever just let him have it??) And it was just so lame in every other way ...
That was fun! Any winners you'd like to mention?