26 December 2009

And a Good Time Was Had by All ...

It's true, our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were wonderful!  I think I mentioned that Seb and Karen were coming for dinner on Christmas Eve, and we had a fun evening with them.  I added something new to our traditional Christmas Eve dinner, and it was a success.  We always have what we call Christmas Eve Risotto, which has broccoli rabe and red peppers in it (green and red for Christmas), which is so yummy.  I got it in my brain this year that I wanted to find a recipe for a vegetarian version of Italian Wedding Soup to have on Christmas Eve as well. 

Before The Tim started working in retail, we used to head home for Christmas with our families.  On Christmas Eve, my brother-in-law's sister used to have everyone to her house for dinner, and she served homemade wedding soup, and it was always a highlight.  After years of thinking about it, this year, I finally poked around and found a recipe that I thought looked promising.  Guess what?  It was!  So it will likely become a permanent addition to our "traditional" Christmas Eve meal.

After dinner, we exchanged gifts, and the socks I'd knit for Seb were a big hit. 



He immediately put them on, and wore them the rest of the evening, telling me that they were really nice and warm and that he loved them.  That is one of the best things about knitting things for Seb - he is sincerely appreciative (or is otherwise worthy of an Academy Award for his performance as a Person Who Likes His Gift).  

Yesterday, we spent the day at home, relaxing with the kitties, opening gifts, and talking to family and friends on the phone, or "visiting" via Skype.  I had knit a Turn a Square Hat for The Tim, and he was thrilled with it - as a matter of fact, he wore it to work today.  When we saw/talked to my sister and her family on Skype, my nieces were all thrilled with the lacy things I'd knit for them for their respective birthdays.  So even though I didn't do a whole lot of knitting this year, what I did seemed to be genuinely liked.  And who could ask for more than that? 

The kitties were particularly thrilled with the catnip pillows I made for them - talk about a big hit!  (As stated before, I promise pictures of these various projects when Photoshop is once again on our computer.) 

We ate, we drank, and we were very merry.  Fortunately, there's a lot of Christmastime still left to enjoy - and we plan on doing just that!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay- sounds wonderful!

Chris said...

Sounds perfect. :)

pam said...

I am adding "learn how to knit socks" to my New Years Resolutions.

Brigitte said...

Yes, it all does sound wonderful! I ate very non-traditional Christmas food - I made a pizza with pesto and tomatoes for Christmas dinner! YUM!

I'm glad you're having a wonderful and relaxing holiday, Bridget. I know if I had given my guys catnip pillows, well. I would probably not be writing this. :D

SissySees said...

Very nice. Our actual Christmas Day was relaxing enough, but the next two days were break-neck and I'm worn out.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- Wedding soup- yum.

Have you ever tried Stracciatella? It's made with chicken broth, and you beat in eggs and parmesan cheese. Really good.

Carrie K said...

Sounds like a great Christmas! It's always good when your gifts are appreciated (socks and catnip) and a new tradition is established. Yum, soup.