10 Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Since we are vegetarians, we do not have a turkey (which will give this guy a sigh of relief, I'm sure!); we usually cook some kind of squash, and then have our side dishes, which are a mix of things each of us had growing up, plus some that we added on our own.
1. STUFFING. I can already smell it in my mind. I love stuffing so very much, and to me, the smell of stuffing is the smell of Thanksgiving. The first year Thanksgiving after we stopped eating meat, I was thrilled to realize that our house still smelled like it was Thanksgiving!
2. Cranberries. And though homemade cranberry sauce is yummy, I'll admit to loving the canned sauce with the cranberry pieces in it. I am also perfectly happy with the kind that shows the can idents. :-)
3. Mashed potatoes. One of my favorite foods, period. Anytime.
4. Sweet potatoes. We always fix one type of potatoes for our meal on Thanksgiving Day, and then the other kind with leftovers on the holiday weekend.
5. Creamed pearl onions. These are one of The Tim's specialties, and they are delicious!
6. Mushroom gravy. Need I say more?
7. Celery stuffed with cream cheese. I grew up with this one, and it's not a holiday meal without it.
8. Green beans or broccoli. Either way, I'm good.
9. Brown 'n serve rolls. I always liked the store-bought ones, but The Tim likes to make his own, and who am I to argue?
10. Pumpkin pie. Yes, technically it's dessert, but it's still part of the Thanksgiving meal.
And if you don't like that I "cheated" you can just substitute "stuffing" again. Because in the end, that it is the food I most associate with Thanksgiving.
What about you??