21 April 2017

Getting Out the Suitcase

This week seemed extra long.  Partly because things were especially difficult at work, partly because I am coming down with a cold, and partly because of anticipation.  Today was my last day at work until May 1st - we've pulled out the suitcase, and tomorrow we'll pack some of our things because Sunday morning we are headed to Puerto Rico!   My niece Amanda and her husband Pat (the ones who usually come for Easter) are going to meet us there, and we'll travel around together for a week, returning next Saturday.

You may or may not recall that a few years ago, my niece Julie (Amanda's younger sister) got married in Puerto Rico.  We made a vacation trip out of that, and have really wanted to go back ever since, because we loved it.

A couple of months ago, The Tim suggested that we go on a little trip, and after *much* negotiation at work (don't ask), I was able to get the same week off.  He found a deal on airfare, and we decided to go.  Then we asked Amanda and Pat if they wanted to join us, and they were immediately on board.

I know it will be fun.  We are doing a combination of going back to places we liked, and trying some new places.  It will be too hot, and too humid, but as The Tim says, when you are on vacation, it doesn't seem as bad. ;-)

I even have an appropriate knitting project lined up - I'm going to knit a pair of socks, using this yarn:


I've never used it before, but one of the podcasters I follow knit some socks out of a different colorway, and I loved the way they looked.  It's West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4-ply sock yarn.  This colorway is part of the "Cocktail Series" and is called Mojito - is that perfect or what??  I love the colors, and it feels really soft, so I'm hoping for a really enjoyable knitting experience.

Other than that, I'm taking my Nook loaded up with some books (thereby saving both room and weight in the suitcase), and of course, clothes.  I even found a swimsuit that I liked, didn't look too bad, and was 50% off at Penney's!

I will miss the kitties terribly, but I know our cat sitter takes excellent care of them, and plays with them when she comes over twice a day, so that is comforting.

If I can just get my cold under control or even better, get rid of it quickly, everything will work out perfectly.  And even if I'm still coughing and sniffling, I'll be coughing and sniffling on VACATION, you know?

I'm planning to post at least once or twice and show you some photos from our travels, but that's it for now folks.

Have a wonderful weekend, even if you are not getting ready for a vacation.  Time off is time off though, right?

12 comments:

KSD said...

So excited for you! Bon voyage!

Anonymous said...

Bon voyage and happy knitting!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Enjoy your trip - I'm sure it will be great!

Lilly's Mom said...

Have a great time. I was in San Juan a couple of years ago and loved it! Pat

Araignee said...

How exciting! I love that yarn. Perfect for vacation knitting.
Feel better!

Bonny said...

That is wonderfully exciting news! Visiting fun, familiar places in addition to new ones sounds like the perfect trip to Puerto Rico. I'm inordinately excited about your perfectly-chosen yarn and can't wait to hear about your knitting experience (in addition to vacation photos).

I've had good luck with Umcka Cold Care when trying to fight a cold. It's an extract of Pelargonium that reduces the severity and duration of colds, backed by some scientific data: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3183890/
I usually get it from Amazon, but since you're leaving Sunday, you might be able to find it at CVS. Hope you feel better and have a wonderful vacation!

Nance said...

I'm a huge advocate of this therapy for staving off or shortening the duration of colds. I use the drugstore brands the moment I feel a sniffle coming on.

Have a terrific vacation. You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you! Have a fabulous time and I can't wait to hear about it. Love your yarn choice - perfect!

Tired Teacher said...

Thrilled to hear you'll soon be soaking up some sun and knitting on the beach or around the pool. Have a great time!

elns said...

I have enjoyed your vacation photos, very much! I think next year we will make an effort for a tropical vacation. Right now, I'm trying to make a trip to visit mother in the summer work.

Hopefully that fantastic medicine known as rest and relaxation will help you kick that cold and you and just enjoy whatever it is you want to do.

I think it's fantastic you are traveling with your Niece and her husband. We all love our families but wanting to share your downtime AND travel with them is TRUE love. xoxo

handmade by amalia said...

Puerto Rico! Lucky you. Enjoy!
Amalia
xo

kathy b said...

I'm thrilled for you. That warmth and sunshine will knock the socks off that cold. Your sock knit choice yarn looks wonderful. Enjoy enjoy