The only thing that saved me was that it was Christmastime, which you may also have noticed, is a time I really do love.
Anyway, by the time I got into December, the only 2017 projects that I had waiting to be finished were the fingerless mitts I was making for The Tim, my Holly Berry Socks, and my For the Birds sweater top. I was really hoping I'd get them all completed, but I *definitely* wanted to finish the mitts, since they were a gift. With everything else going on and other preparations, I didn't get to them as soon as I'd thought I would. But since I only had the thumb on the second one to do, and then weave in the ends, I wasn't really too worried.
Well, I did successfully finish them, gift them, and they have been admired and already worn a lot. All's well that ends well, right?
It was *getting* to that ending that is the story ...
Pattern: Iron Horse Mitts, by Emily Butzi
Needles: US size 2 (cuff ribbing) and 3 (remainder of mitt)
Yarn: Reflections at Roclans Out of the Dyepot Merino Fingering; no colorway or dye lot listed, but the color is (obviously) green. I think I received this yarn a while back in a swap.
Modifications: The pattern is written for US size 2 needles throughout; I wanted a tight cuff, so I used the size 2 for that and size three for the rest of the mitt, so they would be comfortable but not restricting.
Notes: Well, as you can see, they fit The Tim's hands and look just fine. (You will also notice he is incapable of having a photo of a knitting project that he is wearing just be a normal photo. No, that won't do.) I will say from the get-go that the pattern is worth purchasing, and is really, really well-written and understandable, making it an enjoyable project. And the yarn is truly wonderful - soft, strong, not splitty at all, and just lovely to use.
So ... back to getting these finished. Saturday, December 23, I woke up at my usual time, which is hours earlier than The Tim gets up. The last day of work had been the day before, and I was feeling so great, and so happy, and so relaxed, that I decided I would knit that last thumb right then. That would give me time to weave in the ends, give the mitts a mist to block them, and then later that day or the next, I could wrap them up.
I pulled out the first one, so that I would have it at the ready and not frantically start looking for it at the last-minute. Then I pulled out the one that only needed the thumb.
The second one was SO SMALL and SO TIGHT that it wouldn't have even fit one of the cats! I kept setting it on top of the other one, and putting my hand over it, like somehow that would make it grow. I really couldn't register what was happening. At least not right away.
Apparently, I was so distracted, anxious, and depressed when I had been knitting the second one, I had made a fingerless mitt for a gnome, or leprechaun, or any other tiny character you can imagine - and I didn't even notice it!
Now - even two days before then, this would have caused me to spiral downwards quickly, lose my s**t altogether, and it would have ruined ALL of Christmas for me. But given when it happened and my state of mind, I just laughed really hard until I cried. And I couldn't wait to tell The Tim the story.
I wrapped up the one mitt, put the other one out of my sight, and just forged ahead. When he opened it on Christmas Day, he said, "Oh wow, this is great! I'll admit I'd hoped for a pair, though." We had a good laugh over it, and later that afternoon I cast on the second one again. In two more days, it was completed, correctly sized, and without any drama.
So far I haven't been able to find the mini one I put out of my sight. I know I didn't toss it, because I wanted to show it to him eventually, but right now I have no idea in the world where it is.
And that, my friends, is the story of this FO, and how it happened at a time when it became a funny story, rather than a tragedy that ruined Christmas ... :-) A true example of how timing makes all the difference.
Have a good last weekend of Christmastime!