05 March 2021

Random Thoughts for a Friday

How has your week been?  Mine was fine - nice and uneventful at work (thank God!), pleasant enough weather, and some good reading and knitting.  It's really been a nice, ordinary, quiet, and unremarkable time, and that feels like something that is different than usual.  

Which means that I have been thinking my random thoughts.  Which means I'm going to share some of them.  Which means you have been warned, so if you get to the end and think "So?" - you have only yourself to blame!

  • You may have seen this image or versions of it over the last couple of days:

  

This is from Fibre Space, in Alexandria, Virginia, where Madame Vice President Kamala Harris stopped for a yarn purchase.  I knew that her stepdaughter was a prolific knitter, but apparently Kamala (which I like to call her, because I'm sure we'd be good friends) is a crocheter.  This pleases me in the most ridiculous way.
  • Last night for dinner, The Tim made the pasta dish that is all over TikTok apparently (I really don't pay that much attention to TikTok unless someone I know sends me a link, but apparently someone sent him this one).  Our verdict: It was yummy, but at least for us, a bit too salty.  We love feta cheese, and use it regularly, but for whatever reason, either the particular block of cheese we used, or the combination in the recipe of ingredients made the dish taste particularly salty.  We have gotten out of the habit of adding salt to our food (well, The Tim has - I never really was a salt person to start), and so when we come across something like this, it tastes like we have consumed a salt lick!  We might try it again, with the usual kind of feta we have to see if that changes the outcome.
  • I had requested this for Christmas, and ended up receiving it for Valentine's Day.  The Tim said he ordered it early in November, but with the mess that the mail service was at holiday time last year, it didn't arrive until the middle of January.  No matter, though.  I put it on the table next to my side of the bed.  And I have to say, it's cheaply made when you look closely, but when it is turned on, it is So.Very.Pretty!  It gives me such joy to see it, and even when lit in an otherwise completely dark room, has a pretty glow that is comforting light, but not too much light.  At the time, it was on sale for $19.99, and as much as I love mine, it's only barely worth that price as far as the quality of it.  But oh how it brings me joy!
  • I had a stunning realization the other day, and that was that I realized one of the things I missed the most during this pandemic was lipstick - ???  Now, I have to qualify that by saying it's not like I am a lipstick fiend - I have a few, and they are all colors that I like and think look good on me.  I would always put lipstick on in the morning before I left the house, and then it's not like I reapplied it all day.  But I always felt that it gave me an extra pop of color to get started.  I stopped putting it on when we all started to wear masks, because a) you can't see it, and b) it just smears off on the fabric of the mask anyway.  But the other evening we were getting ready to have a Zoom session with my niece and her husband, and I decided to put some on for that, and only then did I realize how much I missed wearing lipstick!  Odd but true.
  • We have recently been watching Lupin, and enjoying it so much!  Both of us enjoy thriller/mystery/crime stories, and this one is really appealing.  This one is not necessarily anything new or vastly different, but it's fun to see the sights of Paris, and the premise is a good one.  There's even part of an episode where the protagonist inadvertently reveals who he is, which does not generally happen.  We recommend it, if you have access to Netflix.
  • Today is apparently National Unplug Day, when we are all supposed to unplug from computers, phones, etc. and give ourselves a break.  I am clearly not doing that, but mostly because I don't overdo any of that, to be honest.  Particularly on weekends, I may only check online stuff once or twice a day.  But I know for people who a glued to their phones and other screens anyway, the pandemic has only increased that, so I hope for some it will be a beneficial thing to try.

And that's it for now.  I hope you have a good weekend.  I have no specific plans, just some ideas of things I'd like to try and get done.  But no specific deadlines or anything like that.  So I'm looking forward to just taking what comes and enjoying it.

I looked up a quote for the day, and this came up, so here you go:

"No one is perfect - that's why pencils have erasers."

Not a bad thing to keep in mind!  Take care, and I'll see you next week.

P.S. to friend and reader Alison - I hope you and yours are OK, I heard about the earthquake in New Zealand.  It sounded as if overall things were under control, but I hope that's really the case.  Take care!

8 comments:

KSD said...

But if I unplug, I can't read your post!

The little tree is beautiful. I'm a sucker for little (a/k/a Christmas) lights.

Araignee said...

Seeing Madame Vice President in a yarn shop made my day!!!!
I love your light. I always go turn on my little bedroom light before dinner even before it gets dark because I like it to welcome me in the evening. I find it oddly comforting.

Alison said...

Thanks for your concern for us down under. The two large earthquakes were near the Kermadec islands, north of NZ which has a scientific base, only occupied from time to time. Fortunately a navy ship taking a largish group there was delayed so those people can count their blessings. Lots of people from coastal areas on the east of the north island spent the day on higher ground “in case”. There were 30cm waves in some areas, and traffic jams in others. We have great civil defence systems so everyone who needed warning got a loud text and the sirens went off. Apparently a lot of folks were woken by their dogs prior to anything official happening.

We are inland here in Rotorua (wrote-oh-roo-uh) so dreamily slept on.

Ellen D. said...

I tried to leave a comment earlier but Blogger wouldn't let me.
Thanks for the random thoughts and for the Lupin recommendation. I needed something to watch!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I love your little tree!

Vera said...

I have the same Fairy Tree light and love it!

Mereknits said...

I swear I think Kamala and I are friends too. She is just so relatable and I just want to hear her laugh because she does it with so much gusto. I love that she visited a yarn store and thanks to you I now know she crochets, brilliant! Stay safe and put on some lipstick just for the fun of it.

sprite said...

I watched the first episode of Lupin and was impressed both with it and with the fact that the book referenced is a real one. I might try to track down a copy.