07 June 2021

An Inside Weekend

Ugh.  Here we are, in everyone but me's favorite season, summer - even though it's still spring, technically.  This past weekend was a miserable one in Philadelphia, weather-wise, with temperatures in the 90s (Fahrenheit) and the added humidity.  All of the weather reports told people to stay inside if at all possible.  Well, other than taking Hamlet for short walks, and a couple of errands early Saturday morning, we did just that.  The only improvement there was that we didn't have the sun beating down directly onto us.

On Saturday, I decided that I was tired of waiting to block the sweater I finished, just because there wasn't room currently in our bedroom.  So I soaked it, and blocked it in the back room of the third floor, figuring that if the Koodle decided to revenge pee on it, I would just wash it again.  I always block garments I've made inside out, so that even if someone walks on them, or the cats rest on them, any resulting marks or fur are just on the inside.  

The ONE good thing about the weather was that this dried overnight, so it was not "available" so to speak for very long.  And though it got some interest from everyone, I think it was just too hot altogether to make anyone want to make a bed or nest on a wool sweater!

So now, I just need to wait for some cooler days to take some photos of it all finished and blocked, and then I can put it away until next fall.  It fits perfectly, which makes me really really happy!


The cats and Hamlet did a lot of dramatic lounging.  In this photo, the Koodle looks like he is already done with summer (me too, Milo!).


Before I got too sweaty to knit on any project, I did cast on and start something new:


This will be a summer top for me - that is, if it is ever comfortable to knit, and I'm not so sweaty that I can't hold the yarn easily!  I also have a pair of socks going, and am very, very close to being finished with my Advent Throw - but once again, need either some cooler weather or some air conditioning for that.

On the plus side, I did spend time reading, and finished two books - one a perfect "summer read" and the other a more serious book, but very readable.  Now to decide what to read next ...

Most of the week here is supposed to continue with heat and humidity, which is depressing to say the least.  So it looks like reading, drinking lots of water, and staying inside will be my plan for the next few days.

I hope you can stay comfy, whatever is happening where you are.  Take care.

8 comments:

Nance said...

Ugh. It's hot and humid here, too. With the added feature of midges. I like summer, but not THIS part of summer, and certainly not in the first week of June.

Hooray for getting your sweater blocked! (Without any Extra Assistance.)

KSD said...

Hot here, too. Tap isn't terribly enthusiastic about walks lately; I don't know if it's general heat or uncomfortable footing.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Our weekend was crazy hot and humid too. The humidity has dropped, but its still hotter than Hades out there. They say we should see some relief tomorrow.

Araignee said...

I am dying from the heat here too. I hate being cooped up but I'm not going out there for anything when it's this bad. The sweater looks great. Whenever anything fits it's a huge accomplishment-at least for me. I rarely get it right.

Dee said...

We sat outside at Greenstreet Coffee today and I couldn't knit. The yarn kept sticking to my hands.

kathy b said...

Love a summer with aqua yarn. Sorry the heat is not your cuppa. It is my CUPPA. I Love it. Was dripping sweat in the kitchen without any ovens on and still didn't mind! I love summer. IT its so so good for my mind!

karen said...

I do not like summer ( trying not to say loathe or hate). I love your sweater and just think in about four months you can wear it!!!! Counting down now.

Kym said...

Hot here, too. But I'm a summer-lover, so I don't mind so much. (Sorry.) I hope you can find some ways to stay comfortable during the next few months. (And although I can't wait to see your finished sweater, I can wait until cooler days to make you try it on!) XOXO