18 August 2022

Membership So Far: Just Us

For any of you who don't live in Pennsylvania, you may not even be interested in this post. Heck, even those in the state may not be, so let me say up front that this post is about politics. Which, like it or not, is part of every single part of our lives, in one way or another. So if you don't care, don't agree, or it makes you angry that this post is not about knitting, reading, cats, etc., my best advice would be to move along right now.

In the upcoming November general election, we have two statewide races that are big ones: John Fetterman, the current Lieutenant Governor (D), and Dr. Oz, television personality and resident of the state of New Jersey (R). 

You don't want me to get started on Dr. Oz. Trust me, you didn't even want that to happen before he decided to use his in-laws' address to "prove" his state residency. I was a non-fan of Dr. Oz before it become de rigueur here.

Then there is the gubernatorial race, which has Josh Shapiro, the current Attorney General (D), and Doug Mastriano, currently a PA state senator (R).

BUT.

Doug Mastriano is a danger to both PA and the country at large.

What you need to know more than anything else about Mr. Mastriano, is that he participated in the January 6 insurrection at the United States Capitol. He would be more than happy to de-certify the election results, is happy to oppose abortion on any terms, and thinks climate change is "fake science."

Did I mention that he participated in the insurrection?

Anyway, on one of the commercials featuring him, he is wearing a cap that says, "Cold War Veteran." This has put me over the edge. WTAF? It's the most ridiculous thing I've seen, and makes no sense. 

Why does he not have a hat that says "January 6 Insurrection Veteran?" Because, did I mention that he was there?

Anyway, I just cannot get over that stupid hat, I'll admit it. It represents everything I think is well, stupid about him. 

But then I realized - guess what? The Tim and I are also "Cold War Veterans!" Granted, we do not have gear proclaiming it, but we spent time as children hiding under desks to practice in case the Russians invaded, or dropped a nuclear bomb. We lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis - granted we were kids, but it happened. We spent many of our formative years hoping and praying that the Russians wouldn't find a way to get us, or our family and friends. 

I pointed this out to The Tim, and he agreed but mostly rolled his eyes as he is both annoyed (by having to always hear about it) and amused at my rants regarding Doug Mastriano.

Anyway, current Attorney General and gubernatorial candidate Josh Shapiro is the complete opposite. He has done a LOT of good as Attorney General - working to combat opioids in the community, filing a report showing the abuse rampant in the past in the Catholic Church here in the state,* to name just two - and is a reasonable, educated person. (OK, he also has two dogs, one of which is a Golden Retriever, so ... well, you know. 😉) He also seems to be a genuinely good guy. For a while he was the chairman of one of the local county's Board of Commissioners, and was well-liked.

You know what he's never been involved with?
The January 6 Insurrection.

And so, when the opportunity arose to get a yard sign to show our support, I hopped right on it. The sign arrived the other day, and we are now proudly declaring ourselves to be "Cold War Veterans" For Shapiro:


Membership So Far: 
1. Me
2. The Tim

But every great journey starts with a single step, you know?

No matter where you live, PLEASE VOTE IN NOVEMBER. More than ever before, our country's future hangs in the balance.

My name is Bridget and I approve this message.

*For the record, I was raised Catholic and still consider myself to be one. I am not offended by Josh Shapiro's report and the evidence produced, because guess what? Priests do and have done things that are terrible and should be prosecuted. They should not be above the law more than anyone else should be. So no, I'm not "anti-Catholic." Thank you for reading.

10 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Holy crap... I think I might be a Cold War veteran too... even though I barely noticed it at the time.. but hey - I lived through the '80s!!!. I wonder if I can get the veteran license plate for my car now.... (complete side note... In the last five or so years, I've really gotten into exploring the history and politics of the cold war, and it is fascinating!!!!)

Stupidity of that aside... the optics are just... WOW. Were I an actual veteran who served... I would be PISSED!!! They are always getting pissed (and rightly so) about "Stolen Valor". Considering a lot of veterans are generally conservative (or Republican's as you yanks call them), isn't this just shooting yourself in the foot????

I bet he totally as an "Insurrection Veteran" t-shirt... you just haven't seen it yet.

Oh Bridget... this world just keeps getting crazier and crazier. And I appreciate your last paragraph. I believe I've mentioned before that I am an ashiest.. but that doesn't mean I'm against religion. It has its place, and purpose, but it should NEVER put someone above the law. And though I don't believe, I firmly think you can still believe in a faith, while still recognizing the evils and failures inherent in man. It's faith but not blind faith.

Ok... off my soap box now.

Araignee said...

I LOVE John Fetterman. I follow him on Twitter and his posts back at Oz are hilarious. As for governor, we have a similar issue here in November. We've got a bat sh*t crazy Trump nut running against a very competent black man for governor and what was once a R/D race is now turned into a white/black race and I have my doubts that this is going to turn out well for the black man. There is a lot of faux liberalism here in blue state MD I am sad to say.

Kim in Oregon said...

Crudites.

Dee said...

Can I join? Please, PLEASE!!!!! I'm a Cold War Veteran too. Even back then I wondered how that light-weight desk I was hiding under was going to save my ass, but teacher said duck and we did. We DUCKED.

So........................do I get the hat?

#CrazyOldLadies4SHAPIRO!

Vera said...

Oh man! so well said Bridget. Now...I wonder if you will receive an "anonymous" comment similar to Bonny's...LOL. I'm a cold war veteran too...I remember hiding under my desk...or in the hallway with my hands over my head (tell me, what would that do?). I also remember films about the "Iron Curtain" and always, always trying to picture a curtain made out of iron. What a childhood!

Nance said...

I'm with you, Bridget, as a fellow Cold War Veteran. I'm also a huge fan of Fetterman (the Better Man) and have been following his campaign since he declared.

The governor's race is astonishing. All I can say is, "Come On, Pennsylvania. Do you want to be as horrifying as Ohio?"

(The answer is no. No, you do not. Ever. Trust me.)

Ellen D. said...

I hope your state votes Blue in November. I am hoping that many states vote Blue in November.
The stuff that the Republicans have been coming out with would be laughable if it wasn't so damn scary.
Best of luck to your candidates!

Kym said...

There is so much nuttiness afoot. My head explodes every time I read the news. What. Are. People. Thinking? I have no words, even.

Bonny said...

Another fellow desk-ducker here. We're surprisingly low on nutjobs running for office in NJ this year, but that may be because they're all in PA. I am alarmed by the size of the Mastriano signs I see when I drive in PA; there are some oddly huge ones (whole sheets of plywood) and I wouldn't be surprised if one place I pass paints the side of their barn with his name. I do hope you got your crudités at Wegner's.

Jane said...

I am also a Cold War Veteran. There is so much craziness in this country it boggles the mind. Thanks for the post.