08 April 2024

Ugh

Well, I didn't mean to be gone for so long, and this will probably be kind of a short post. We had a good Easter and visit with Patrick and Amanda, but last week ended up being kind of a blur. Things were really hectic and difficult at work, and a ton of people were coming to the house otherwise for repairs, estimates, etc. On top of which I felt really awful, and figured I was getting hit with allergies.

But instead, over the weekend, I realized I had an upper respiratory infection, which is a "regular" event for me, but had taken a break for the most part during and shortly after the pandemic.


I feel like the poor pup above. The worst parts are the severe coughing and exhaustion as a result because I get very little sleep. In the past, I would call my dr's office and she would call in some cough syrup for me, so that the coughing would settle down enough that I could sleep for a few hours at a time. But that Dr - who was one of my fave people ever - joined an MD-VIP practice which I could a) not afford, and b) have philosophical issues with, and so I switched to another practice somewhere because the one I was with for so long had no other drs taking new patients. And when I called this morning to ask for medicine, I was told I would have to visit the office first, and they would contact me later for an appt on either "Thursday or Friday." And I get it, I really do, but I have had this so many times that I know exactly what it is. So I have at least a couple of more days of feeling just plain awful before there is any relief in sight. 😕

I can read for little bits of time, but don't have the concentration to knit. So at least for the immediate future, I can't even take advantage of feeling like all I have the energy to do is sit in a chair. 

So that's where I've been and where I am at the moment. I'm not sure if I'll feel with it enough to post again soon, but if I do, you'll hear from me.

In the meantime, I hope if you are in the eclipse area, you enjoy seeing it, and no matter where you are, I hope your week goes well. That's it for now.

9 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

I hear you. This is what modern medicine has become. So annoying.

I'm so sorry you feel bad and hope you get better soon. The only thing I'll offer is to put Vicks VapoRub on your feet at night. Or else go visit an Urgent Care facility? At least you'd get the drugs sooner?

Araignee said...

I am so sorry to hear you are under the weather. I hope you are feeling better soon. That is so annoying about your doctors. Our doctors are practically begging us to come in for that sweet Medicare money but we have that same issue for vets. You can't get an appointment for weeks and weeks making us have to make the long trip to the doggy ER for anything that needs immediate attention. Take care.

kayT said...

My husband and I had a bout of the bad nasty long lasting cold that was going around, and since neither of us have GP type doctors (long story) we were suffering. Then he was at the pharmacy looking at the OTC drugs and the pharmacist came by and told him that lots of folks were having bad times and the ones who were getting the most relief were taking Alka Seltzer day and night cold and flu. So we both tried it and while it did not cure us, it really did help. You might try it. Hope it helps. Hope they get you in soon, too.

KSD said...

I was worried you might have been sick. Please take care and remember and how much you are loved.

sprite said...

Sending hugs! Feel better soon!

Nance said...

I'm so sorry, Bridget. Being unwell is the Absolute Worst, so draining and diminishing. I hope you feel more like yourself very, very soon. XXOO

Kym said...

I hope you're feeling better by the time you read this comment. And if you're not, I hope your doctor can help you sooner than later. (I hate uncooperative doctor's offices! I mean . . . if you can't see your doctor when you're sick, what good are they??????) All my best get-well juju!!! XOXO

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh - I feel for you - I get something similar (and yeah - it took a break with COVID - obviously masking works!!!)
Luckily, I have a standing prescription for Tylenol threes (for my back) and the codeine helps with the cough - because the cough is BRUTAL.

Hopefully you've already found some relief, but if not, can you get Tylenol 1s over the counter where you are (we can here). They aren't as good as the 3s, but they do have a little codeine and help in a pinch.

Also... pineapple juice! "Bromelain is an enzyme that can only be found in the stem and fruit of pineapples. Evidence shows that it can help stop coughs and loosen mucus in your throat. To get the most out of pineapple and bromelain, eat a slice of pineapple three times a day or drink 3.5 ounces of fresh pineapple juice."

When I get the cough, I always get a big jug of pineapple juice.

Hope you're on the mend by the time you read this!

karen said...

Your complaint is my complaint too. I miss my old doctor where I used to live who you could call, explain and they'd phone in something. I have a really nice doctor here but never gives refills to what used to have refills unless it's a medicine to control BP etc. I get good care but it's not like it used to be. Also they love to refer you to the ER! (I do not want to pay $200 copay unless I'm dying). Urgent care is there but they are not as good as doctors in practice.