19 July 2007

Just Wild About Harry

This week's Booking Through Thursday question:

1. Okay, love him or loathe him, you’d have to live under a rock not to know that J.K. Rowling’s final Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, comes out on Saturday… Are you going to read it?

2. If so, right away? Or just, you know, eventually, when you get around to it? Are you attending any of the midnight parties?

3. If you’re not going to read it, why not?

4. And, for the record… what do you think? Will Harry survive the series? What are you most looking forward to?

My Responses:

1. Do birds fly? Is the pope Catholic?

2. I won't be reading it right away. This is because there is an unspoken agreement between The Tim and I that he reads it first, and then I get it. This is largely because he will read it much more quickly than I will, and I don't mind the little bit of extra anticipation. Gives me something to look forward to. I won't be attending any midnight parties. Primarily because I find it difficult to stay up that late ...

3. See response to #1.

4. I have been vacillating on this, but in my heart, I think Harry will survive. I am most looking forward, of course, to seeing how it all plays out. But I want to learn once and for all, what is the deal with Snape? Personally, I think he will turn out to be a good guy in the end. I think he was in love with Harry's mother, Lily, so he could never actually harm Harry. And I want good things to come to Neville Longbottom, because I really identify with him. Plus, after learning what happened to his parents, I want him to have a chance to be especially special.

(I would also like to see Draco Malfoy and his parents be turned into slugs and placed in my garden, so I could drown them in beer. Realistically, I know this is impossible.)

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

You're a saint! I could never have the book in the house & let someone else read it first.

I think Snape is a good guy too. And I love Neville. But I am predicting that they both die. I agree with you that Snape was probably in love with Lily. I also thin there is a chance that Draco might do something good in the end. I guess we'll see!!

the wicked witch of the east said...

dude, the way i feel right now is who whitney houston must feel every time she needs a fix...i was on the bus,,,and this guy had his laptop open and i'm stood behind him...of course there's nowhere to reall look so i'm looking at what he's got on the LT...he was reading a DLed version that some neb-sh*t put on the net...get this...each image was a snap shot of pages from the hard copy of the book!!...sadly, part of me is impressed w/ the commitment this jackass made to being a jerk.

Literary Feline said...

You sound like my husband and I (only I'll be reading the book first because I'm a bit faster when it comes to reading). :-) Enjoy the book!

Carol said...

Me? Are you kidding? Normally, I'd dare not make a comment like this, but I am an honest person. I have not read the others yet. See how far behind the times I am? All my knitting friends (who are mostly librarians) will have that knocked out by the end of the weekend and will have knit something nice! I believe Harry will indeed survive. I may be the slug in your garden and love a beer!

Mistrmi said...

And yet, one can pretend that any given slugs are the Malfoys, and drown them again and again. . .

teabird said...

A total waste of beer.

Knitterary said...

I have blocked out the weekend to read HP7, and have cast on a very plain sock to knit while I read.

I can't wait!

I think Harry almost dies, but survives in the end.

Anonymous said...

In Harry Potter-dom, it's entirely possible. Best use of beer I've heard of in a long time.

I think Harry will live too, but I'm waaaaay behind on the books. I think I read the 2nd and maybe the third?

Anonymous said...

I've not made it past the first one, which has caused folk to label me a heathen (I'm looking at you WWotE!) simply because, whilst I thought it was a good book, it didn't grab me as it did so many others. Then again, I just caught the Buffy/Angel/Firefly train only recently so maybe in about, oh, three years or so, I'll catch up.