22 July 2007

Music, Music, Music

Earlier in the week, Melanie tagged me for a music meme. Since I love practically all kinds of music, I decided to play along. I have been thinking about it off and on, and to be honest, I have probably changed my mind approximately 1578 times. But a few things stayed on the list, so I'm going to go with them ...

Here are the "rules":

1. Name between 5 & 10 songs that have made an impact on your life. I'll leave it up to you to decide how many you wish to describe.

2. Pass it onto five other people with a link back to your own post and this one as the original.

I've seen others' lists, and an awful lot of them included a majority of classical pieces. I do enjoy classical music, but must admit that I hardly ever know the actual titles of my favorite pieces. Usually, I'll have to turn to The Tim and say, "Is this the one that goes '[insert hum]'"? (I make no apologies, though, as I have an easier time remembering something like Tiger Rag, as opposed to Symphony 86 in B minor. Kinda like works of art called Untitled. Come on, you know you understand what I mean!)

Without further editorial commentary, here's my list:

Happy Birthday - I love birthdays, mine and everyone else's. So I love singing this to them.

I Will - either the Beatles version, or Alison Kraus'. I just think it's a great song.

Always (by Irving Berlin) - because whenever I am somewhere with The Tim, where they play this, or someone sings it, he grabs my hand and squeezes it. (Yes, I'm sentimental. Deal with it.)

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - if you have to wonder why this makes the list, you haven't been paying attention.

Hallelujah Chorus (by Handel) - because one of the first times I heard it performed live, was one of the best evenings ever. Plus, it's catchy.

Any song I've ever made up for a pet - every pet I've ever had, or ever will have, gets their own little [dumb] song, that I make up and sing to them. Even Doughboy, who technically is not my pet, has a song!

Take Me Home, Country Roads - I sing this to myself whenever I'm thinking of home.

Here Comes the Sun (Beatles version) - I would like this played at my funeral. (Not anytime soon, hopefully ...)

The [Little?] Beggar Man (an Irish folk song) - because when we had our original cat Molly, Tim made up a version of this to sing to her. She would purr like a truck as soon as he started. When she was dying, he sang it to her at the vet's office, and she still purred, and she died purring.

Pretty Women (by Steven Sondheim) - sung by two men with good voices, it's just beautiful, and extremely evocative.

**And one more, just for The Tim: The Happiest Girl in the World - we have some old recording of a show whose name escapes me, with this song on it, sung dramatically by a woman in a very high voice. When I imitate her, it gets him laughing, and he doesn't crack up that easily. But I get him with it. Every. Time.

I'm not really sure where to pass this from here. Maybe Lorette would like to give it a shot, I know she enjoys different kinds of music. Otherwise, feel free to consider yourself tagged. If you don't have a blog, feel free to share in the comments.

7 comments:

Carol said...

My dear departed kitty was named "Beulah," or "beu" for short. We had this joke about how almost every song in the world can become a love song to Beu, if you just substitute "beu" in the right place. "Beu are so beautiful" by Joe Cocker, or "The most beautiful Beu in the world" or "Have I told Beu lately that I love Beu?". Sigh. I miss her. Your pet songs made me think of that. I thought I was the only whackjob in the world who made up kitty-cat songs.

teabird said...

I used to sing to my cat, and I, too, sang to her as she was given her last injection. She didn't purr, but she did look into my eyes, and I know she was peaceful -

Carol said...

I knew it! You ARE a mush at heart! heh...I'll have to try this one and thanks for making me feel not so absent-minded about not knowing the titles to my fave classicals. I know one, but I can't spell the composer's name you know, the Nutcracker guy? I just call him Mr T. I've always sung to my "babies" guess what Dolly's song is?

the wicked witch of the east said...

should i be offended that none of these have appeared on x-mas @ graterford??

Anonymous said...

I sang "We've Got Tonight" by Bob Seger to Sheba the night she died. (That was a mistake, because now I can't bear to hear his voice.)

The Hallulujah chorus! I love that. The only classical piece I know by name is the 1812 Overture and that's probably just out of sheer repitition.

Mistrmi said...

"The Happiest Girl" was sung by Donna Fargo. (Being raised in Nashville has its advantages.)

And you know I must say something about "Pretty Women." In the upcoming movie, to be sung by Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman. How's that for a duet?

Lorette said...

Good choices! This will be quite a challenge. Only 5-10? I'll work on it!
I can't remember which classical piece is which, either. It would be easier if they had words! ;-)