23 August 2007

Indoctrination

Using a suggestion from Erin today:
When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or parent, etc.)


My parents were both voracious readers - books, magazines, newspapers - I don't think there was a room in the house without something to read on some surface. I can remember that every Christmas, I would receive at least one book as a gift, and Santa always put a book of some kind in my stocking. I think my mother got me more actively involved in reading, as she would often say, "Why don't you go read something," when I was bugging her. The funny thing is, I can remember one time in the summer, when I had gone to the bookmobile, and brought home a book I was dying to read. I plopped on the couch, and was still reading at dinnertime. Ate dinner, and then back to reading. About 8 p.m., she said to me, "Oh for God's sake, would you put that book down and say something??"

I can remember trips to the library as a kid, which were a big deal. My mother would take us, and she would go her way, and I would go mine, walking through the aisles and looking at books that looked interesting. This was at the old library building in our town, which had the large marble steps at the entrance, and rooms with high ceilings. It was just what I thought a library should be ...

Shocking events!

This morning - brace yourself - both Garden Kitty and Jetsam were cruelly put into cat carriers, and taken TO THE VET for a checkup!!! Can you imagine such a thing happening in this country? Well, trust me, there was lots of moaning (GK) on the way there, while there, and coming home. Jetsam actually growled at the vet - we'd never heard him growl before! Fortunately both of them got clean bills of health, but oh the trauma of it all ...

Garden Kitty was just happy to be home, where he never ever has to see anyone else but us again:






They gave me a shot! And took my temperature!





Whereas, other family members appeared to have, um, moved on:

I wonder why they don't set this out for me all of the time? It's so pleasant here ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

PETA, the Humane Society, the SPCA, the RSPCA, and Amnesty International (including Sting!) have all been notified of your heartlessness.

You have been warned...

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

My Dad would read aloud to us in the evening. Having grown up on a farm in Minnesota he particularly liked the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I always wanted to hear Old Yeller to the cries of dismay of other family members.

Literary Feline said...

My parents were avid readers as well and I loved visiting the library, even if sometimes I fought going at first. I was always in heaven once I'd get there. Haha

Poor cats! My cat hates being put into his carrier for trips to the vet too. Best to be healthy and safe though!

Mistrmi said...

Oh, man, fallwitch stole my bit!!

(Though I was going to include the ACLU.)

the wicked witch of the east said...

not to mention gloria aldrich, mercenary attorney at law...but gosh the kitties are cute...

i guess now would be the time answer your question instead of pointing out that you're a kitty torturer...

my brother got me into reading...be it comics of the the books he read for school, he would share them with me...and it became our "thing"...one of my favorite things to do growing up was skipping church with him and buying a pk of those mutilated comic and getting a small pepperoni pizza to share while we sat in a park and read our comics until it was time to go home.

Anonymous said...

lol... love the post-vet photos of your cats. Ours hate the vet so much (in particular our little girl Selene) that they get into fights after they come home. Well, mostly she beats up her brother, even if he is twice her size!

barbp said...

Not the VET!!!