04 February 2010

Stupid with a Side of Lazy

This evening I did something so stupid (and potentially dangerous), that I am still disgusted with myself. I got home a little bit later than usual, since I had made a stop on the way home from work. The cats were, of course, near death from starvation, so the first thing I did was feed them so I would not be accused of cruelty to animals.

Then I went upstairs and changed my clothes, came back downstairs and started fixing myself something for dinner (The Tim is working late tonight, so I'm on my own). I decided that a nice piece of homemade bread and a glass of wine would be most excellent. But the bread was frozen. No problem, I took a chunk out of the freezer, and plopped it in the microwave. I have had success setting the microwave for 5 seconds to thaw bread - it stays nice and bready, and tastes like it was recently baked.

As I was finishing pushing the buttons on the microwave for the bread, I heard a crash in the living room, so I went to see what was happening. Jetsam was having an attack of the 6-pm-crazies, and in his dashing about had knocked over a lamp. Fortunately it didn't break, so I picked it up and set it back on the table. About this time, I thought to myself, "Hm, I smell smoke." And headed back to the kitchen, wondering what it could be.

Upon entering the kitchen, I noticed it was extremely smoky, and the microwave was the source! I immediately turned it off, and opened the door, to see a charred, smoking hunk of bread. Then I realized how this happened - apparently when I was setting the timer, and then heard the crash, instead of pressing buttons for 5 seconds, I had set it for 5 minutes!

Fortunately, the only loss was a hunk of bread. I turned on the exhaust fans all around the house to get rid of the smell and the smoke, and doused the bread with cold water and threw it away. But I feel incredibly stupid, and am extremely relieved that the whole episode didn't lead to the news headline "Distracted Woman Loses Home After Bread in Microwave Bursts Into Flames" ...

You'll be glad to know that Jetsam was not harmed in this incident.

I have now decided that it's not worth doing anything useful for the rest of the evening. Besides, we are supposed to get a blizzard this weekend, so I can work on stuff then.

Unless of course, I feel the need to just sit around and be cozy because it's snowing so much outside ...

10 comments:

Chris said...

Glad it all ended well!!! Whew.

Wait, now you have to run buy more bread, because of the "zOMG, it's going to snow, must buy bread & milk" imperative!

Kate said...

Awww... Stuff like that happens to us all! I'm just glad that everything is alright! Take care!

Carol said...

Seems to me that unless the bread was wrapped in alumninum foil, it wasn't that dumb or lazy...

I'm glad you're okay, though.

Marie said...

I haven't had a microwave incident, but we did have a toaster oven turn itself on and start sparking. Fortunately Richard was in the kitchen at the time, or that could have been really bad. I'm so glad your event ended well. House fires scare the bejeezus out of me.

Lisa said...

I hate microwaves.

Channon said...

All's well that ends well. Enjoy the snowed in weekend.

Carrie K said...

I've done that, it can't possibly be dumb or lazy. All's well that ends well though!

Kathleen said...

Whew! Enjoy the housebound weekend.

Laurie (Moo!) said...

I say it's a faulty microwave. ;-) At least you avoided the whole animal cruelty thing, right?

Tom did the same thing with a dinner roll. He set it for 20 minutes instead of seconds. Luckily I was in kitchen and saw the countdown at 18:32 and thought "Huh?".

teabird said...

Can't say I've had a microwave incident, but have set pasta on fire.