22 February 2011
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere ...
The last few weeks, I've wanted to do Ten on Tuesday, but just didn't get around to it, or got sick, or any of another several reasons/excuses. But today, the topic: Your Ten Favorite Cocktails/Mocktails! I mean, I love me a cocktail. I'm sure that some of you think I'm a lush because I mention drinking and/or alcohol on a fairly regular basis. Sadly, I don't last too long after any alcoholic drink. Usually, I can barely stay awake, much less be coherent enough to drink several and get to drunkenness. Plus, there is nothing more annoying to me than spending time around a bunch of drunks.
But I digress. Let's get to that list!
1. Martini - oh martini, how I love thee! Particulary with a garlic-stuffed olive. The Tim and I have a fondness for "The Thin Man" movie series, and when we watch one, we generally have a martini/sip of a martini, every time that Nick and Nora Charles do. We also have a martini now and then when we watch "Mad Men," since the people on that show enjoy a cocktail on a regular basis also.
2. Margarita - particularly a frozen margarita. In the summer, there's nothing better on a too hot afternoon or evening.
3. Gin and Tonic - another fave. I can always be convinced that it is time for a gin and tonic. This is my mother's influence, as she loved a G&T, and I learned how to make a good one early on. In recent years, it's become a Christmas Eve requirement to have one while watching "It's a Wonderful Life."
4. Bloody Mary - what can I say, I like tomato juice - though I like Bloody Marys even more when V-8 is used. Plus, there's the whole hot sauce thing, and I love hot sauce.
5. Daiquiri - I haven't had one for a while, but we used to have these in the summer a lot when I lived at home.
6. Whiskey Sour - there will always be a place in my heart for whiskey sours, since my dad used to make them at holiday time. Many a Christmas Eve I remember with a whiskey sour and shrimp cocktail. It was the height of special-ness for us, since we knew it cost more money to have this than my parents could usually afford.
7. Rum and Coke - though I like Pepsi better, but though this is not something I have very frequently, I alway enjoy it when I have one.
8. Mojito - I never had one until a few years ago when we were in Puerto Rico for my niece's wedding, and we toured the Bacardi Rum factory. Yum.
9. Scotch. OK, not really a cocktail when it's not mixed with anything, but still yummy. This is another popular accompaniment to "Mad Men," and almost always something we have on Sunday evening to close out the weekend.
10. Pina Colada - a well-made, frozen pina colada can be a yummy thing when you are suffering through a hot and humid day. Not necessarily my very favorite cocktail of all, but a nice treat on occasion.