24 August 2011

"Whether It's Cold, or Whether It's Hot ...

We will have weather, whether or not."

My mother used to always say this when people would talk about the weather.  It drove me NUTS.  Though I realize it's true.  Just like one of my favorite routines of the late George Carlin, where he would be the Hippy Dippy Weather Man, and he would say, "Weather forecast for tonight: dark."

As practically everyone knows by now, yesterday the East Coast had a 5.9 magnitude earthquake.  I was at lunch with a friend, and we heard a rumble, but both of us assumed it was subway underneath us.  Then we left the restaurant, and people were all over the place on the sidewalk, having emptied out of the high-rise office buildings.  Some guy ran up to us and said, "Do you know what magnitude that was?"  At which point we decided it was likely not the subway ...

When we returned to work, one of my co-workers said that the earthquake was proof "that Satan is extra busy."  If that is in fact the case, I personally think that Satan didn't put much work into it.  Just my opinion.

Our only "damage" at home was that The Tim's Mr. Bean bobblehead was knocked to the floor.  Not broken, which was a relief to one of us.  There may have been more, but frankly, anything else could also be the work of the cats.

So we breathe a sigh of relief at our luck, and hope it will hold out this weekend and that Hurricane Irene will decide to visit elsewhere.  Both events are for the most part out of our hands, so we'll just do the best we can.  Which is all any of us can do anytime, right?

Anyhoo, I have WINNERS in my blogiversary giveaway!  Thanks to everyone for your kind words, wishes, and for playing along.  Those listed below should send me their full names and mailing addresses.  If you don't have my e-mail address, you can send the info to thekittyknitterATverizonDOTcom, or via PM to thekittyknitter on Ravelry.

Marji will receive the pattern
Michelle (no link, sorry) will receive the Classic Elite Montera
Geekknitter will receive the Newport yarn

Congratulations to each of you, and once again thanks to everyone for commenting.  :-)

And that's it for now.  Have a good evening, and to anyone in the hurricane's path, I hope you'll just be able to say Goodnight, Irene and not worry about it. 

5 comments:

Claudia Bugh said...

Glad to hear everything is hunky dory and you barely felt the shaker. Did you notice ND's pre-season ranking? I have company over Labor Day and fear it might be rude to watch the game when they've traveled so far to see us. What do you think? LOL That comment about Satan being extra busy makes me roll my eyes. Take care of yourself and hope the Hurricane doesn't disrupt things too badly!

Anonymous said...

Ooh. I never win ANYTHING. As a Californian, I have to say we were completely unimpressed by your 5.9, but that's just us. "Satan"? Oh, puh-leez. It's the earth moving. It does that. Around here it does it a lot.

Jenn said...

My sister will be visited by Irene in North Carolina and then Tom's family will get her in Connecticut, Long Island and even up into New Hampshire.

Poor Teddy, his doggie world was absolutely rocked by that earthquake. And I never felt it!

Lynn said...

I seem to be a day late and a dollar short when it comes to blog give-a-ways! Happy blogiversary and heres to many more!!!!

And stay safe during Irene. She's really packing a punch. Funny how you thought it was the subway when it was the earthquake. I agree, if that was Satan working overtime, he's not really putting forth much effort.

Unknown said...

Bridget- I am reading George's books- Brain Droppings, When will Jesus Bring The Porkchops and the other one.... it's called "An Orgy of George"-

The guy was brilliant.