04 September 2015

Have a Good Labor Day Weekend!


Ah, Labor Day weekend ... when I was a kid, it truly meant the end of summer.  Most of the time, school started the day after, and even though I liked school well enough, I liked being at home and doing my own thing much more.  I haven't been in school for a long time, but I still feel like this weekend is slightly bittersweet.

For a lot of people I know, and for a lot of those in blogland, it is also a time to start fresh.  Just as you started the new school year with new shoes and new pencils, etc., as an adult Labor Day can be the same kind of milestone.  In that vein, I took the last half hour of my workday today to give my desk and my workspace a good clean.  Frankly, it was overdue - I mean, that place was gross!  But now when I return on Tuesday, it will be nice and clean and fresh - at least for a half hour or so ... :-)

What are you up to this weekend?  We don't have any specific plans.  The Tim is working during the day on Sunday and Monday, so we might have a picnic dinner on Monday evening, but that's about it.  I am planning to spend at least part of one day going through my closet.  For whatever reason, this summer I really slobbed it up - just kind of throwing things in there, and it's a mess and I'm sure there are a lot of things I can just donate or throw away.  (Another fresh start - hm, it's like a theme I was not expecting ...)

But mostly I want to just relax and do whatever I decide to do.  I worked especially physically hard this week at work, as in lifting 40-lb. boxes, shifting books, shelving stuff, etc., so I definitely got a workout.  This evening, however, I have to say that I'm feeling it!

I also want to see if I can finish or come close to finishing my watermelon-yarn socks.  The first sock is done, and I would like to get the other one finished sooner rather than later because a) it's been way too long working on them, and b) I want to start another pair for a Halloween gift, and told myself my own pair needed to be completed first.

I hope you have some nice plans for the long weekend.  Labor Day is an important day to note, and I don't think a lot of people really understand why it even exists.  Those of us who are not working this weekend, or who are not *required* to work more than 40 hours a week, have laborers and labor unions to thank for it.  (I have an acquaintance who really and truly thought that it was to honor mothers since they go through labor to give birth.  What an eejit.)

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive;
but it is lightning that does the work"
-- Mark Twain

The world is a strange, confusing, dangerous, and crazy place these days.  Each one of us can only do so much to help or make it better.  So I hope that this weekend, *your* life and your world can be a happy and safe place.

Hopefully, the next time you hear from me, I'll have some knitting pictures and who knows, maybe even TWO socks to show you!  It could happen ...

Take care.

9 comments:

Lorette said...

Happy Labor Day to you also! I had today off per my new work schedule, and yesterday as a bonus since I'm ahead on work hours, so FIVE DAYS! Hallelujah.

elns said...

You have a fabulous Labor Day Weekend yourself. I am going to join you in spirit and try and throw some crap away that's junking up my living space.

I am a Union member and I'm always relieved to hear/read someone write the word without such disdain. I feel like it has such a negative association these days, which is really a disappointment. Like all groups and institutions they have their bad apples.

Mereknits said...

Okay honoring Mother's who went into labor? That is hysterical. I am laboring this weekend getting my outside pool area free of mold and mildew, not fun but it has to be done.
Hugs to you and enjoy your weekend.
Meredith

Araignee said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the socks. Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

This is the start of our vacation time........looking forward to a little time to ourselves after a very busy work summer.

Hope you have a good weekend and that you have a nice tidy closet at the end of all your work.

Happy Labor Day.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- Sure it can happen. I fully expect to see 2 completed socks next time.

My big plans are to clean my car. If it's too hot I won't.

kathy b said...

I never liked grammar school so I get ridiculously sad around start of school time. Time to let it go!
I think i would fall into the school refusal catergory today. I had anxiety even as a child.

Still hot here so I'm happy for the porch time.
We are having just 2 for a bbq on Monday. hamburgers and hotdogs. Easy.

Good luck finishing that summery watermelon sock. Orange or halloween themed yarn will be just the ticket when the temps drop here

Caffeine Girl said...

Enjoy your slow-paced weekend. I have a wedding that goes from 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Sunday, and I'm spending much of today baking cupcakes for said wedding.

I hope to be very lazy on Monday!

Kym said...

Relaxed and easy weekends are such a wonderful treat. Hope you enjoyed yours! (And also hope you enjoyed going back to a nice, organized work space this morning.)