01 September 2015

Ordinary Is Good

I haven't done the Ten on Tuesday for a few weeks, but this week's topic is one that really appeals to me.

(Sorry for no pictures - my computer is not cooperating today!)

10 Seemingly Ordinary Things That Bring You Joy

1. Animals.  Not just my own sweeties, but ones I see all of the time, whether another dog on a walk when I'm on my way to work, a cat sitting in a window, birds and squirrels all over the place.  Animals of all kinds make me happy (including stuffed animals from my childhood!).

2.  Trees.  They all have stories.

3.  Flowers.  They make me smile.

4. Teapots.  Yes, they provide nice hot tea when you fix it, but they are pleasing to look at as well.  Even plain ones are happy ones.

5.  Letters.  Nothing is better than a handwritten letter, and they are increasingly rare.

6.  Books.  Even just seeing books on a shelf is pleasing to me.

7.  Tomatoes.  Real tomatoes that you can only get in the summer.  (They are one of the very few things I like about summer.)  Nothing tastes better than a real, fresh tomato.

8.  Our washer and dryer.  When we first moved into our house, I couldn't wait to show everyone our very own washer and dryer.  Such luxuries!

9.  Music.  Instrumental or vocal, I like most kinds and I always have some kind of music going through my head.  

10.  Waking up.  Because it's never guaranteed. 

What about you?  Do you treasure the ordinary?  

13 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh - I'm with you on the washer and dryer!
When I moved out on my own, I had to have a place that had in-suite laundry - as a result, we've always lived in townhouses. Last time we moved, we looked at a couple of apartments, but always came back to the laundry! (Plus I love having a yard, even if it is itty bitty!)

Anonymous said...

That first sip of coffee in the morning!

Donna said...

I love watching the wildlife. The birds are so fun to watch. As are the other little critters.

Araignee said...

I love your list. I am most definitely a lover of the ordinary. I am happiest in a quiet rut but rarely get to stay in one for long.

Patty said...

Trees. Love that. And the washer and dryer, such simply ordinary joy. Because...the alternative!

kathy b said...

I LOVE ordinary days. I truly do. The simple ones with good pancakes, and a nice cool drink on the porch and knitting and blogging and a watering the flowers. SImple. Love the prompt and your responses. Animals YES

Marie said...

It's kinda like I wrote the list. Every point is so ME. Being a good Child of the South, though, under #7 I would have mentioned the pleasure of a good fresh, homegrown tomato sandwich.

Kym said...

Such wonderful, ordinary, JOYful things! :-)

elns said...

Ordinary is good. I've worked hard to be this boring. I appreciate a lot more now. One day I would love to have in-unit laundry machines. You're living the dream!!

Lorraine said...

Bridget- Yes, the animals. Though some are far from the ordinary. Teapots make me happy too.

Julie said...

such a great list! I drink this white tea in the morning that is scented with apricots, and every morning I love making it- I take a deep inhale when I open the tin every time, and I love it so much.

Linda said...

I too love my washer and dryer - even if they are old and the dryer just needed to be fixed again (husband fixed it for the second time in a year)! Every time I moan about having to do laundry - I think about having to go out and beat it on a rock like they did in the olden days - and then I shut up - LOL!
Trees - I adore - simply adore trees. I swear I can hear them crying when they are being cut down. Or maybe it is just me I hear....

Linda in VA

Anonymous said...

Oh yes.....I was recently diagnosed with some long term health issues. While it's a bummer, it also makes me appreciate the simple and good things in my day.