08 October 2015

Reverse Seasons

I do a pretty decent job of knitting things on time if they are a gift for someone else.  I may be a teensy bit late, but no more than that.  I'm usually even on time.  I think it's because I want someone I'm gifting to know that I'm thinking of them, and conscious of noting the holiday/birthday/whatever.

Knitting for myself, though?  Well ... that usually takes a while, even if I *think* I'm knitting with a deadline.  You may remember my Halloween Socks.  I started them at the beginning of October last year, with the confidence that I would be able to wear them for Halloween later that month.

I finished them in January of this year.

Fortunately, Halloween comes around every 12 months.

Then, a week before Memorial Day, I started these socks, which I called "Watermelon, Anyone?"


I had every plan to wear them for the rest of the spring, into summer.

Fortunately, spring and summer come around every year, just like Halloween.

Because, I finally finished them last week.  You know, after watermelon season.


As a friend said when I mentioned how I seemed to complete things out of season, "You are Fashion Forward."  I'm gonna stick with that.

Project:  Watermelon, Anyone?

Pattern:  Classic Socks for the Family (my go-to pattern for a basic sock)

Yarn:  Abi Grasso Watermelon Self Striping Sock Yarn with Seeds (purchased here)

Needles:  US 1 1/2

Modifications:  I made the leg part longer, otherwise, just followed the pattern as written.

Comments:  I LOVE how these turned out!  They were such fun to knit, because I couldn't wait each time to see the next "watermelon" pattern turn out.  I put them down for a long time due to a) laziness, and b) a sore elbow that made it hard to knit, but I am really happy with the resulting socks.  And I'll be all set next spring/summer!

Also, when I was knitting these, one of my nieces was amazed that the yarn made the pattern.  When I showed her the resulting socks, she said, "I like how the yarn knows what to do."  That made me laugh!

I have quite a bit of yarn left over, so the remainder may become a watermelon hat for one of my great-nieces.  I think that would be really adorable.   (We'll see.  I always have a lot of great plans.  That remain plans - just that - in the end ...)

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

Bridget- Fashion forward. Yeah, that works. Love the socks.

Araignee said...

I sooooo love these. I have coveted that yarn forever. What a brilliant piece of dyeing. I'd wear them all year with my lime green Crocs-or my pink ones-or my red ones! Sadly in the winter no one really gets a good peek at what's under your jeans-sockwise that is!

Kym said...

You are NOT behind schedule at all ---- you're AHEAD of the game . . . by having seasonal socks ready when the season comes (next). ;-) Love the watermelon socks.

Linda said...

Love those socks!!
I too knit really fast when I'm making a gift for someone. But for me, things languish (well maybe that is because I'm knitting so many of them - ha)! But I get one or two done eventually!

Linda in VA

Mereknits said...

Well said by your friend, you are just really ahead of the game! Love the socks.
Meredith

Caffeine Girl said...

I love those socks. How fun!

Lorette said...

The sock yarns that knit up into patterns like that always amaze me.

And I like Fashion Forward. I always start a heavy wooly sweater in the fall, sure I'll be able to wear it the same season. It never works out that way.