23 August 2017

Pie Day

Not to be confused with Pi  Day (March 14) ...

My mother was not much of a cook, though she loved to eat.  But once every summer, she would make a lemon meringue pie.  It was a *big* deal.  And always yummy.

The other day I stopped at the market near our house for a few things, and I saw that they had a box of Lemon Pie filling.  Hm, I thought - I have a pie crust in the freezer, and I'm home this week, maybe I'll make a lemon meringue pie.  So I bought it, and today turned out the be the day.


It doesn't look as nice as my mom's used to - she was really good at getting super high peaks on her meringue, and successfully spreading it so that no filling was visible.  But I think I did a pretty good job for my first attempt.  We'll have some later, and hopefully it will be good.  I already remembered one ingredient she would use that I forgot, but I'm hoping it will still be OK.  Lemon meringue pie always makes me think of summer.

This week has been OK, so far.   Monday afternoon we took Milo the Koodle to the vet for a checkup.  We've been so busy with Dug and then Jetsam the past couple of years, that it had been a while since any of the others had gone.  We were trying a new vet, and hoping for the best.  Milo was so freaked out, that when we put him in the carrier, he expressed his anal glands.  OH MY GOD THE SMELL!!!  Fortunately, the vet cleaned him up.  He got his shots, and was declared in good health.  Of course they made a huge fuss over him, which he loves.  And his report from the vet said he was "a good boy."  PUH-LEEZE.

Yesterday was just a terrible day. First thing in the morning I got awful news (nothing health-related, don't worry) and frankly it just ruined my whole day.  I couldn't stop crying.  I don't mean to be vague, but I just can't talk about it right now.  By the end of the day I was OK again, but it was one of those days that was so humid, it was unbearable. So unfortunately, it was a lost day.  

We had crazy loud and violent rainstorms overnight.  I was having trouble sleeping anyway, so I sat up watching most of the night.  Needless to say, I'm tired today!  But it was a day of doing stuff around the house, baking, cooking, and things like that.  The weather today was gorgeous, so we had a pleasant walk this afternoon, and will likely sit in the garden for a good part of the evening.

Tomorrow - a beach day!!  YAY!!

I've also been knitting away, and yesterday I finally swatched for my summer sweater top.  Ahem.

I finished one book today, and started another.  Though I have a few squares on my Book Bingo card filled, I'm not anywhere close to having a completely filled card like some other participants.  But I'm OK with that, because I wasn't thinking it was a contest, and I just wanted to see what I would be able to accomplish.  There's still a week or so left, so who knows, I may have more than I think by the time it's all over.

So it's been a week when I am more than happy to not be at work, especially yesterday.  Now the weather has improved, which helps everything anyway, so it's all good.  

How has your week been?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...not going to talk about my week.

Today was nice though. My nephew, sister and brother-in-law came for a visit. My nephew lives in Germany so I don't get to see him very often.

It amazed me how much he looks like Stephen and has some of the same mannerisms.

Anonymous said...

Glad the Koodle did okay at the vet. Sounds like it was quite an ordeal to get him there though. Poor boy (poor Bridget too.)

Hope all is well....don't know the details, but sending good wishes.

Bonny said...

I do hope the awful news can be resolved into something better, or at least slightly less awful. Not to make light of it, but maybe lots of that delicious-looking pie will help. It looks wonderful, you're knitting, not at work, and I hope you have a terrific beach day tomorrow!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

My Mom makes perfect meringue too - what's with that? Piled high with perfect peaks! Mine looks like it was slopped on and fingerpainted with. It tastes fine, though, so I try not to let it bother me!

Tux was terrible about expressing his anal glands in the car... and it was usually just at the point where we were too far to turn back and clean him up, but far enough from the vet to maximize suffering from the stench!

Araignee said...

Mmmm.....I love lemon meringue pie. I used to make one every fourth of July when I had a houseful of kids to eat it. Now I buy a small piece of one from time to time but it's not nearly as good as homemade. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope a positive resolution is on the horizon.

Tired Teacher said...

The pie looks delicious. I remember my Mom making lemon pies - standing over the stove stirring the filling made with lemon juice, water,sugar, and some corn starch (?) I think.

It sounds like you're enjoying your vacation. Take care!

AsKatKnits said...

I hope your news settles soon, whatever it is. And, that pie looks so yummy! Enjoy your beach time and may the wind and the waves be refreshing!

Kym said...

What a lovely pie! Lemon meringue is pretty much my favorite. I've only tried it once - and it was . . . okay. Maybe I'll give it another try soon.

I hope today is better. Sending XOXO to you.

Vera said...

That pie looks awfully yummy! Enjoy the beach (remember your sunscreen!!!).

Judy S. said...

Thanks to you, I'm enjoying Book Bingo, too, and finding it's broadened my reading choices. Hope you day is going better and that the pie tasted as good as it looks.

Mereknits said...

Bridget, hope the news was not too horrible and that you have recovered from getting it.

sprite said...

I'm really sorry you got terrible news. I hope that things turn out as well as possible in the end. Sending hugs in the meantime.

(And I don't think of the Book Bingo as a contest. Personally, I refreshed that damn thing about a bazillion times to get one that mostly I thought I could complete (even if I don't) without much strain, which doesn't really seem a fair comparison to anyone who legit just took what the randomizer handed them.)

Nance said...

Lemon pie is my favourite. I remove the meringue because...yuck. I feel like it's just there to keep the Lemony Part soft and wonderful.

I'm intrigued by your fondness for the beach. It seems incongruous for one who loathes the summer, humidity, etc. I am an unabashed beach hater.

I hope whatever has made you cry goes away--for good. Unless it is your job, which I hope you keep. Unless something better comes along. Sigh.

Have a good weekend and PIE.

pam said...

Sounds like a very up and down week!

karen said...

I hope your news goes away and isn't true. Frodo has anal gland problems and I wish he would let loose! see a positive to that smell, not what you'd expect in comment....I hope this week is so much more kinder to you!

elns said...

I'm just catching up with everything. Pets at the vet seem way worse than kids at the doctor's and I had the 4 year old that tried to kick the RN and ran out of the injection room.

You know I'm cheering you on from over here. It sounds like you are enjoying the good stuff when you can and eating pie. That is something good. I dunno. that sounds lame, but I think it's important you're doing that too. It doesn't mean you're sticking your head in the sand, but you have to feel good and move forward somehow.