09 May 2018

Differently Ravell'd

Wednesday has arrived, which means it's time to join Kat and others for Unraveled Wednesday.  This week I have no knitting to show, though of course, knitting is occurring.  Nope, today I am going to show you a different use of a different needle that I learned in a class this past weekend.

As I've mentioned before, this year I didn't make it Maryland Sheep and Wool, and I would have enjoyed it I'm sure, but since I knew for awhile it wasn't gonna happen, I wasn't too sad about it.  Then I saw that the Butcher's Sew Shop was offering a class in Beginner Embroidery on the same Saturday that everyone else would be taking the bus to Maryland.  Since I had a credit voucher from a class I had to cancel out of, I decided to sign up.  I know basic needlepoint, and can do counted cross-stitch, but I've always wanted to learn embroidery.  I figured there was no time like the present, and especially since the class was being offered at the location near to our house, I signed myself up.

There were about 15 people, none of us with any experience, which meant we were all in the same boat, as far as knowing how it all worked.  The instructor was really great, and incredibly patient.  The class was from 1-4 in the afternoon, and it was timed perfectly.  We all had a chance to learn the stitches she wanted to cover, and get a little bit of practice with them.  We learned back stitch, chain stitch, fern stitch, lazy daisy, cross stitch, satin stitch, branch stitch, French knots, queen  stitch, and spider stitch.  My efforts are below.  It was fun, and just challenging enough for my brain and hands, and I'm so glad I attended.


The only down side was not any fault of mine really, but you can see the fabric has some dark areas on the upper right.  Well, we all had the same project, and she had printed the image using an inkjet printer, on something called Sticky Solvy, which dissolves in water once you have embroidered the image.  As a result, as we were working, we all ended up with ink in our fingernails and on our hands!  But that's not really a huge problem as far as I'm concerned, only that the first time I noticed my fingernails I thought, "Wait - I washed my hands today!"

As far as my reading goes, I'm planning to start this book today during my lunch hour at work.


I've been intrigued since I first read a review of it, and have seen it mentioned favorably on a couple of podcasts.  My name finally rose to the top of the hold list at the library, so I am really looking forward to seeing for myself how good it is or is not.

And that's what's going on with me.  What kind of good stuff is going on with you???

13 comments:

karen said...

what a fun class!! Your stitchery is lovely and colorful.

AsKatKnits said...

OOO!! That embroidery sampler looks so intriguing! I love it! And, again a new book! I will have to see if my library has that book! Thanks for joining us this week!

Nance said...

How nice that you could find something fun and interesting to do that weekend. You'll be piling up projects like crazy!

Bonny said...

That is a lovely use of another type of needle, and a fitting accompaniment to your reading. I hope to see more of your embroidery!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you learned a lot in that class. Have fun with your new project.

Tired Teacher said...

Embroidery is fun and relaxing. I love the template the instructor provided (minus the ink issue) for the class. It gives guidelines and will be attractive when all the stitching is complete.

What type of thread (floss) did she have you use?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh I'm jealous! I've done a little embroidery, but I'm self taught and terrible at it!
When I was a kid, my great aunt-Jess died and we got a bunch of her old linens. There were hand-embroidered table cloths and pillow cases, and I thought they were just the most beautiful things!

Kym said...

What fun! I love that sampler design, too! What a fun way to practice your new stitches. :-) (I'm also going to check out that book. It looks so interesting.) XO

Vera said...

I just read about that book on another blog somewhere! It looks really interesting, so I will look forward to your review.

Your embroidery is really pretty Bridget. That must have been a fun class to take.

kathy b said...

Great idea to take an embroidery class! Beautiful work started! Good stuff here: House is cleaned ! Groceries in the houses . Suns out. Walks done. Baseballs on. Everyone's healthy!

sprite said...

Fun! Embroidery seems to have made a comeback in the last year or so; I've seen several people working on projects at cafes near me.

Kwizgiver said...

What an interesting embroidery sampler. You have lovely, even stitches.

Araignee said...

Oh, it's beautiful!!! I do so admire embroidery. My great grandmother always embroidered her pillow cases and I loved to use them. Such wonderful memories.