03 January 2020

2019 Knits and New Year's Day Cast On

Before we go much more into this year, and I have it in my brain, I thought I would share what I knit during 2019:


When I first made this mosaic, I was a little disappointed that I had not done more over the past year.  Then I realized that until the end of March, I couldn't knit at all, due to my broken wrist.  Then when I was allowed to knit, it wasn't for very long or to do very much.  When I gave that some thought, I decided that I actually did pretty well!  (Because of course if I had been able to knit the whole time, I'm sure I would have completed 12 pairs of socks for my Box o' Socks, and made about 50 other things, right???)

In any case, I'm pleased with what I accomplished.  I hope to do a little bit better this year, at least I hope I can do more socks, and maybe complete the 12 pairs!  Also - please note that I did actually complete TWO SWEATERS - a big thing for me.  Yes, I know there are people who make tons of sweaters, but I'm still relatively new to sweater knitting, so getting two of them knitted makes me really happy.  :-)

******

Did you do a Christmas Eve cast on?  I never have, mostly because I'm usually busy all day and evening on Christmas Eve, and don't want to take the time to stop and cast on a project.  Instead, I decided to do a New Year's Day cast on, so that I could begin the year with something new.

I don't know if you remember, but in 2018, I had saved up to purchase a yarn Advent calendar.  Of course, I had no idea that I would not be able to use the yarn right away, though again, I'm busy during Christmastime and would likely not have been able to open the yarn, wind it, and knit on a project for the 24 days leading up to Christmas Day.  Anyway, the broken wrist meant it wasn't happening no matter what.  I had decided a few weeks ago that last year's Advent calendar was going to be used for my New Year's Day cast on.  So I started winding the mini-skeins, and then on Wednesday, got started.  I chose the ADVENTurous Wrap by Ambah O'Brien for my project.

What a fun, addictive pattern!  This is what I had after only a few hours:


It's one of those "let me just do one more color" things, and the only frustrating thing for me was that I could not find the #5 mini-skein (the last color on the top), so I just substituted something I already had.  I also worked on it yesterday, and here you can see that I've made even more progress:


This weekend I plan to wind all of the rest of the skeins so that I don't have to interrupt any future activity because I've knit all that were ready so far.

Right now, my only other project I have going is the pair of Christmas socks I was making for myself.  I was on the foot of sock #1, and realized I'd made a major mistake that I just couldn't live with, so I ripped out everything up to the patterned part, and started again.  I'm now a bit further than I was before, so I'm moving along.  I'm going to have them be my first pair for my 2020 Box o' Socks.  I know in the "official" KAL, you can't start with a WIP, but since I'm on my own, I can do it my way.

I'm really happy with how my 2020 knitting projects are starting, and hope this is a sign that whatever else I work on this year will be a good project.

Have a good weekend!

12 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You not only made two sweaters... but made two sweaters that actually fit and look great on you - and for many of us - that's a huge accomplishment - I can't tell you how many I've given away because they just look terrible on me. It took me years to find and knit styles that worked for me.

AsKatKnits said...

I really love how your ADVENTurous wrap is coming along! I need to cast on something *quickly* for my daughters birthday in February and I am at a loss as to what!

Helen said...

Yesterday I found a pair of socks that only lacked the toe of one for being done. Well now I have a new pair of socks. I think there is another pair in the same situation. :) I've the wool and first directions for a CAL starting soon, so that will fill time. And I'm thinking I should take the left over yarn from last year's CAL and knit stripey socks with it. Hmmmm.
Happy New Year.

sprite said...

Congratulations! I consider them all a huge accomplishment!

Nance said...

You did a great deal for having had a broken wrist! And they all look terrific, especially the cropped sweater top. I really love how that one suits you.

Araignee said...

You did get a lot done last year in spite of the big boo boo! I love that wrap. The colors are beautiful.

KSD said...

The Advent shawl is lovely! I'm already squirreling away money to get another calendar this year.

Mereknits said...

Happy New Year! you did great considering you had that broken wrist. Love you r new shawl, it is gorgeous.

Shirley said...

Your projects are just beautiful! Love all those socks and the sweaters are wonderful. I think you had a very productive knitting year especially since you were sidelined for several months. Love the ADVENTurous Wrap. Your colors are just wonderful.

Vera said...

You really accomplished a lot Bridget - congratulations! Love your New Year's start.

kathy b said...

Hey, you did very very well for having broken a wrist!!! Your socks are gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

Kym said...

You had a GREAT year of knitting, Bridget! I love your collage/projects! And . . . I like your new shawl, too. Those "let's see what the next color brings" projects seem to go so much faster, don't they??? XO