20 January 2021

New

Goodbye to this:

"They were careless people.  They smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made."

-- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby 

********

Hello and welcome to this:

We turn to the Lord to receive these, our brothers and sisters, into eternal peace and to comfort all of those who grieve the loss of a loved one.  Let us with one heart, commend those who have died from this virus and all of their loved ones to the providential care of the One who is the ultimate source of peace, unity, and concord."

-- Wilton Cardinal Gregory, of the Archdiocese of Washington, at the Covid-19 memorial, January 19, 2021.


Hope has returned.

11 comments:

Ellen D. said...

Happy inauguration day! Here’s to a better future! Wishing all the best to Biden/Harris as they work to heal our country. Peace!

Martha said...

A day to celebrate for sure!

AsKatKnits said...

Amen!! Oh my... what a glorious day! (that silent prayer!)

Mereknits said...

It was an incredible day! I was moved to tears many times. A new dawn has arisen.

Dee said...

President Biden and Vice-president Harris will not be perfect, but at the least they will respect the sanctity of the office and bring dignity back to Washington.

It can only go up from here.

Karen said...

So happy today. A bald eagle circled over my head on my morning dog walk. I take it as a good omen for the future of our country.

WendyKnits said...

Such an emotional day! When the President sprinted over to Al Roker to fist bump him on the walk to the White House, I burst into tears. And I'm dead inside!

Araignee said...

It sure has! I cried myself into a migraine yesterday. It was all so beautiful.

Nance said...

That quote from Gatsby kept simmering in my brain throughout these four long, hellish years. F. Scott Fitzgerald really wrote the ugly rich so well in that book.

Yesterday was such a wonderful day. I felt comforted and I felt that the America I once was part of was back. Or at the very least, well on its way.

KSD said...

*heart*

kathy b said...

Cardinal Gregory did a nice job. But the BIdens and the Harris team and family were eloquent and sincere too