26 April 2022

Let's Give This Stitching a Try

You would think that international press coverage would follow once I decided what my next stitching project would be, the way it took me weeks to decide.  Meanwhile, I care, and maybe one or two other people.  Maybe.

But decide I did, and here is my contribution to Tiny Needle Tuesday.

This past weekend, in what I have started to call Stitchy Saturday, I pulled out this kit that The Tim had given me for my birthday two or three years ago.


It's been a loooooong time since I've done any embroidery - I took a class a couple of years ago to refresh my memory, and I enjoyed it, but then as is usually the case, did nothing.  I do remember when I opened this gift, it was with some other stitching things - extra needles, a notions pouch - and The Tim said something to the effect that he knew it wasn't cross stitch, but he thought I'd like the teacup and flowers.  And he was not wrong.

So I got myself a cup of tea, and got all situated to get started.  I decided it would be good company to watch the latest Flosstube video from Floss Toss, which is done by Rachel of Treehouse Fiber Arts, and Sue, who is one half of the Legacy Fiber Artz team.  I don't watch all of their videos, but those I've seen, I've really enjoyed - those two do some amazing stitchery!


The really weird/funny thing was, in this episode they were discussing their latest obsession - embroidery!  Isn't that funny?  It made for even better company while dipping my toes (well, fingers) back into an embroidery project.  As with all things, I started with completing the flower part of one of the flowers (above), and by the time the podcast was finished, I had this:


Three flowers done!

Now, don't get all excited because my embroidery skills are not even in the same universe as expert, but making these flowers was just so enjoyable to me.  And since 99% of what I do craft-wise is to please myself, who cares if it's not perfect?  I had so much fun doing this, and it also gave me a nice way to have a "goal" - I told myself that I would try to complete the three flowers on Saturday, and it was not only a reasonable expectation, but I could immediately see what I'd accomplished, and some days that is exactly what I need!

I cannot tell you why Saturdays are the days I usually work on some stitching.  Maybe because they are generally quiet days, when I can have a stretch of time to really concentrate.  Maybe because I just like the sound of "Stitchy Saturday" once it occurred to me.  No matter what, Saturdays seem to be when I most feel like pulling out anything I'm working on or starting that is not knit-related. 

This coming weekend, we'll be out of town with family stuff going on, so I probably won't even take this along.  But that gives me plenty of time to decide what segment to try and complete next.

11 comments:

Nance said...

I think Tim made a perfect choice with that kit. It's lovely and seems like something you would like. It will look very pretty framed and set on a table or hung on the wall. And the colours are cheerful yet not gaudy or loud, as my grandmother used to say.

Ellen D. said...

That will look so pretty when you finish it!
I just started some cross stitch last week as an old friend of mine because a grandma for the first time and I thought it would make a sweet baby gift. It is trickier than I remember but I try to do a bit each night as I watch TV...
I am wondering how old the baby may be by the time I finish, tho! :)

Dee said...

So cute.

Embroidery is how I got started in the stitchy world.

Tim chose a very cute project for you to make. Have fun. That's what it is all about.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I love it! Your embroidery skills are MILES above mine. I've always been bad at it. The best I do now is embroider noses on a few knit animals I've made - and even then, if I have a plastic snap nose I can use, I will! Lol

KSD said...

A lovely kit --- enjoy it!

Vera said...

Funny - I had just been thinking of embroidery the other day. I always enjoyed that and used to do a lot of it before cross stitch. I also really like crewel work. That's a very pretty piece that Tim picked out for you - have fun with it!

kathy b said...

Great start! I 1ove the co1or of the first f1oWERS!

Araignee said...

How exciting! I also like having an embroidery project on the go for when I just don't want to work on the same old, same old. It's a very different skill set so it makes it fun.

Kim in Oregon said...

I love embroidery, and I love the 'anything goes' nature of it! You should check out Cozy Blue Handmade kits. They're lovely and definitely in the anything goes category.

karen said...

what a cute project and now I want to dabble in embroidery as well. I pulled out my cross stitch two days ago and it was fun to do maybe 10 stitches..

Kym said...

Now that is a charming project! I think you're going to have a lot of fun . . . dipping back into embroidery. I have never really taken to cross stitch (I've done it; I like it more when I see what other people do with it), but I have always loved embroidery. I got back into it last summer, and just loved doing it again. I hope you will, too! xo