21 June 2023

And So It Begins ...

Just a little less than an hour of spring left - yep, today is the Summer Solstice. Unlike most others, I have been grateful for this spring. We've actually had springtime weather - very few really hot days, nice cool (sometimes even cold!) nights for sleeping, and lovely breezes nearly every day. Since usually spring is nothing but rain, and/or turns way too soon into summer temperatures, I've really been enjoying this, though I do actually wish we'd gotten enough rain for the plants and trees. (It sounds like that will happen for a few days, starting tomorrow, at least here in Philadelphia.)

Anyway, since most of you seem to love summer, I hope it is a good one for you. I do love the fruits and veggies that are available during summer, so you see there is something that appeals to me. 😉


Not much else to report. I am making good progress on my stripey summer top, and the market bag that I am knitting. I did in fact start a pair of socks and have completed the cuffs on them. Of course, I also have approximately 482 other things I would love to make and cast on immediately, but I know that I should continue with what I'm already doing, or I'll get overwhelmed and then not feel like knitting at all.

I'm also reading away, as usual. As is often the case, it seems that every book I put on hold at the library has become available at the same time. But better too many things to read than not enough, right?

*****

I saw something on Ravelry the other day that surprised me, though I don't know why things like this still surprise me. It was pattern for a summer top, and a lot of people had knit it and said they loved the result. Someone commented that they would love to make the pattern, but they don't wear cropped tops. Someone else commented, "Well, just knit it longer," and the person responded, "Oh I don't want to do that and get in trouble with the designer."

Now admittedly, 99% of the time, I follow a pattern the way it is written, at least when I first try it. I am not a designer, and I'm not good at math to make serious alterations to a pattern. But, it's never occurred to me that if I wanted to make a sleeve longer/shorter, or a sweater longer/shorter that somehow that was not allowed. Patterns generally say something like "Not for commercial use," but that doesn't mean the knitter can't do their own thing. Yet so many people seem to think that there is something like the Knitting Police, or that designers keep tabs on every person who buys the pattern somehow. 

I know this shouldn't keep surprising me, but it does. I'm sure it happens in other areas of crafting, or even life, but it's always something that makes me wonder.

What about you? Do you/have you ever worried about changing a pattern to do what you want? Did you ever think it was "illegal" or that you would be in trouble if you got caught? Let me know. I just always wonder if I'm the only person who has never worried about this kind of stuff.

That's it for today. I'm off to a dr appointment, but the good news is that once that's finished, I have the rest of the day to myself!

10 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Okay... that is a bit extreme. I've never heard of someone thinking they couldn't do it because they'd get in trouble. Usually it's more along the lines of their brain can't manage it without express written instructions (even if it's something as simple as just knit longer). That is a bit... odd.

I've noticed (in both the quilt world and the knit world) a lot of people can't seem to imagine things in different colours than the pattern. They have to see it first. My friend who has a yarn store confirms this. So many people will see a sample and say "Oh I love that, but I don't like the colour." and seem to have no concept they can make it in any colour they want!

This is definitely NOT an affliction I suffer from. In fact, I have trouble making things as the designer intended - no matter what it is, I almost always have to change something!

Michelle B. said...

I typically think of patterns as a recipe that I can tweak as I need/want; not that I usually go too far off course. Why else are there so many classes/books/tutorials on how to modify patterns for fit? Unless I was knitting it as a test knit for the designer, then I would knit as written.

Shirley said...

I don't knit but I made clothing for many years and now quilt. I have always changed patterns or combined patterns to get what I wanted. It never occurred to me that it would be unacceptable for any reason. If it's only for personal use, who cares? Summer is my least favorite season. I dislike heat, humidity, sweating and bugs. It has been the most beautiful spring in NC and the local strawberries have been so sweet and juicy. Hope you enjoy your day after the appointment!

Kim in Oregon said...

Patterns are mere suggestions, imho. I'm not too worried about what the designer thinks of me once I hand over my $6!

KSD said...

Pattern-wise, I hardly ever use the yarn used in the model. Can't afford them.

As far as changing the actual buld, mainly making things longer is about as far as I go.

Araignee said...

I've never worried about the Knitting Police. I rarely knit anything that matches the pattern completely because I either won't fit into it or I don't like a design element. I particularly don't like short rows in the back of sweaters so I never do them. I also never do waist shaping since I don't have a shaped waist anymore. The designers I watch on YouTube seem it enjoy seeing the modifications people make to their designs.
I am on record as NOT being a summer fan. It is usually too hot and muggy here. The cool, rainy weather we are having today is my kind of weather.

Nance said...

It's a Pattern, not a Prescription!

Roslyn said...

I change things in patterns all the time to suit what I want. I've test knit for several designers too and most were really flexible even then to modifications (as long as they were clearly noted of course!).
It boggles my brain that someone would think something as simple as knitting a longer body or sleeves would be a problem. But I also saw it all the time in the yarn store I worked in.
Humans are weird! LOL :D

Dee said...

I figure, my knitting, my rules. Patterns are just the beginning for me.

This is especially true for cross stitch. I'm a wild-banana when it comes to my crafts and my motto is ---- You do you. Meanwhile, I'll do ME!

Meredith MC said...

Huh, it never occurred to me that a designer would care if I modified my knits. I guess if it was horribly ugly, and a person posted pictures and the name of the designer everywhere, then they would have cause to be upset. I barely even take pictures of FOs though, so nobody would even know!
I’m a summer person. There are a couple of days every year that are really too hot, and then I go to the lake. Maybe you just need a lake nearby?