03 March 2007

Take Me Out to the Ballgame ...

I just read in one of the local yarn store newsletters that on June 26, the Philadelphia Phillies are hosting a Stitch and Pitch! Which means that I may finally get a chance to see a game at Citizens Bank Park, which will be the first time for me. The last few baseball games I've attended have been minor league games, which I really enjoy, but I have been wanting to go to the new ballpark. This will be the perfect excuse.

Today I stopped at Rosie's, and there was a woman looking around, who said she was from Texas, where "they don't have yarn." I asked her where in Texas she was from, and she said College Station, "right outside of Houston." She seemed kind of overwhelmed by all the yarn she was seeing. Which was even more than usual, since they had gotten in a couple of shipments in the past week. (Especially Koigu - I've never seen so much Koigu in one spot!) I don't know if she ended up buying anything or not, but I left Rosie's and decided to walk over to the bookstore and say hi to Tim. He happened to be at the information desk, and there was another employee there, who mentioned that his mother worked in a yarn store. I asked which one, thinking he meant here in Philadelphia, but he said, "Oh, back home in Houston." Interesting, n-est-ce pas? But maybe since Texas is such a big state, "right outside of Houston" is a lot further than I'm thinking it is ... or maybe she just doesn't get out much ...

Anyway, if you're in the area, remember to mark your calendars for June 26!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is anyone left outside Houston?

teabird said...

My father lived in Houston for awhile and said it was utterly, totally barren of culture. Maybe if he'd been a knitter...

I've never been to a ball game, ever, although my Yankees (MY Yankees) are one of my passions.

What will you knit at the ball game? What will you knit at the park?

Lorette said...

We don't generally fork over the money for the big league games (Seattle Mariners), but we do get to our local minor league games a couple times a season. As best I can tell, I'm the only one that ever knits there.
And Texas does too have yarn. I lived in the Dallas area years ago, and there were yarn stores there. And CS is only a couple hours from Houston, I think, so if she really coveted yarn, she'd get there.

Carol said...

Maybe she was the Houston yarn shop owner...Koigu is what threw me off my yarn diet just 2 weeks ago. I wish I could see a huge pile of it! No wait....