30 March 2017

Hello April

To what purpose, April, do you return again?
Beauty is not enough.
You can no longer quiet me with the redness
Of little leaves opening stickily.
I know what I know.
The sun is hot on my neck as I observe
The spikes of the crocus.
The smell of the earth is good.
It is apparent there is no death.
But what does that signify?
Not only under ground are the brains of men
Eaten by maggots.
Life in itself
Is nothing,
An empty cup, a flight of uncarpeted stairs.
It is not enough that yearly, down this hill,
April
Comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers.

--"Spring" by Edna St. Vincent Millay






7 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love those big purple Alium! Can't wait until mine bloom!

Tired Teacher said...

Lovely images of spring!

Vera said...

Great poem Bridget and those Allium are terrific!

Bonny said...

I know next to nothing about Edna, but this poem is certainly a study in contrasts! The spring beauty of your photos is enough for me and the smell of the earth is indeed good.

AsKatKnits said...

Oh, you have such lovely signs of spring!!

Araignee said...

Beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

Looks like spring has sprung in Philadelphia.

It is summer here ...........air conditioning went on yesterday.