20 October 2017

Five Favorites for This Friday

If you are reading this, you too have made it to Friday!  Some weeks it's more difficult than others, that's for sure.  Today I am thinking that regardless of what else does or does not happen, it's just a regular length workday, not like last Friday where I had to be at work until after 9 p.m. - and it took me the whole weekend to feel like myself again!  I'd like to say it's because I've gotten older, but I've always been someone who needed time to recover from a major break to my regular routine.

Anyway, there have been some good things, as I hope there have been also for you.  Here are some of mine.

1.  A spell of fall weather at last!  We had three whole days (count 'em) that legitimately felt like fall, and it was glorious.  Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be 78 degrees.  I may have to seek out the person on the morning news who said, "That sounds wonderful, since it's been so cold."  Sweetie,  if you think it was actually cold, you're gonna be pretty darn surprised come February.

2.  I got in a lot of knitting time, on all of my projects.  We had a ton of stuff that we had recorded, and had not yet watched, so this week we caught up.  Which meant lots of time to knit.  Which meant actual progress, and it felt good to move things along.

3.  The Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen show in Rittenhouse Square last weekend.  It happens in October and in May, and I really enjoy walking around looking at all of the various types of work.  The choices include handmade furniture, paintings, jewelry, and even clothing.  A lot of it is not anything I'm that interested in or that I would or could even afford to buy, but I love seeing that types of work people do.  One of my favorites from this show was a booth where the most delicate ceramic pieces I've ever seen were displayed, with tiny works of art on them.  It was an unusual and interesting set of things.  People have amazing talents, you know?

4.  Oatmeal.  When it's really chilly or cold in the mornings, I love having a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and this week I had it twice.  I usually top it with raisins, cinnamon, and if available, some kind of nuts.  I also like it with a dollop of peanut butter mixed in, and have recently become aware of the tastiness of Craisins or dried tart cherries in the place of the raisins.  Anyway, it's such a nice, warming, and filling breakfast, and makes me feel like I got a good start.  Weirdly, in warm weather it does not appeal to me at all.

5.  Apples.  This is the best time of year for apples, and they are so good.  I love them just as they are, but I also like apple slices with some peanut butter on them, apple pie, apple crisp - you get where I'm going, right?  And it also means there are plenty of apples available so I don't have to save them only for my packed lunch every day, and can make this recipe.  YUM!  The farmer's market here has had some wonderful Honeycrisp, Mutsu, and Stayman apples and we've been taking advantage of that big time.

Have a good weekend!  Mine should be pretty great, since tomorrow I am getting to meet up with Dee and we are going to have lunch, go yarn store visiting, and then her husband Steve is going to come into the city, and along with The Tim, we're all going to have dinner together.  I. CANNOT. WAIT. 

Most people I know will be at Rhinebeck this weekend, and if you are one of them, enjoy it.  We'll be having our own fun here in Philadelphia.  :-)

14 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Dinner with Dee? Have a great time.

Honey Crisp apples are my new favorite: Jonathans are too hard to find in the market anymore.

AsKatKnits said...

I am with you on the oatmeal! I made some in my Instant Pot with craisins and it was so delicious!

Kim in Oregon said...

what a beautiful photo! While I love living in Oregon, I do miss a good fall color display.

Nance said...

It's definitely apple season in NEO. My son just picked me two huge bags of Golden Delicious (or Yellow Delicious?) so we are all stocked up. It's such a terrific all-purpose apple. I like to chunk it up in my yogurt, add a scatter of rolled oats, some honey, and a dash of cinnamon, and it's breakfast!

Mereknits said...

You and Dee are going to be the best of friends. Steve is a terrific guy, he spent time with Little B on the porch of a yarn store while Dee and I were inside. Have a great time with each other.

Vera said...

Have fun tomorrow!!! I'll be in town, but at the Barnes....(Colin got tickets for Fletcher's b-day). And thanks for the reminder of that delicious recipe - I'll be making it soon:)

Araignee said...

It's still on the warm side here. Better but not yet crisp enough for me. I am still in tank tops and flip flops. I need some sock weather!!!
Boo hoo for Rhinebeck. I had forgotten about it. Until Dear Old Doggie goes to heaven we can't make the trip and it makes me sad to miss it. It's such a fun fest.

Kym said...

I am not an oatmeal-lover . . . It always sounds so good. Until I actually put it in my month (even with all the lovely toppings). Tom eats it several times a week during the cold-weather months, but . . . not me!

Have a great weekend! Looks like a fun one! XO

sprite said...

Alas, I won't be in Rhinebeck either, but your weekend plans sound equally enjoyable.

Maybe I'll come into Philadelphia during the holidays and we can go look at Christmas decorations together...?

Anonymous said...

Counting down the hours.

I bought my train ticket. I'm deciding what project to bring! YAY for visits with friends (even though by the end of the week, I may be dead to you). LOL

I had a great time at Hidden River Yarns. Went to Yarnings and the shop in Chestnut Hill today.

The lease on the town house is signed and we hope to be moving in right after the 1st of November.

Things are moving along!!!!

Lorraine said...

Bridget- I have actually wanted to kill weather people.

The apples I wait for are Russets. They are amazing.

and finally...have a fantastic time with your friends.

Judy S. said...

Looks like you and Dee had great fun. One of these days we need to get back to PA; haven't been there for a while since there are no more relatives to see. It's been a tough week here as we lost one of our sweet kitties.

karen said...

gosh everyone is meeting dee! I agree with your apple assessment, they are the best right now. I cannot believe we are at the end of October...it's going by too quickly!!

Caffeine Girl said...

I cannot get enough Honey Crisp apples in the fall. They were developed in Minnesota so they do very well in Wisconsin.
I also adore oatmeal. Without or without toppings, but I do insist on brown sugar!