24 June 2020

In Which I Surprise and Amaze Myself

On Monday morning, I had appts bright and early for some x-rays and bloodwork, so I put on my mask, sunglasses, and hat, and headed over to the Perelman Center at Penn to do that.  As I was walking over the bridge on the way, it occurred to me that I was more or less traveling incognito, and the best part was that it would make it pretty much impossible for someone to tell me to "smile more."  That made the trip back and forth worth it, even though it was already eleventy hundred degrees at 7:30 a.m.  

Once I got home, I only had a little bit of time before I had to attend an All-Staff meeting via Zoom.  So I decided that since I would be one person on the screen of 100+ people, and no one could see my hands, I would do some knitting.  However, I needed to cast on a project, and I had just enough time before starting to cast on my next pair of socks and get the first couple of rounds knit.  By the time the meeting was over, I'd finished the cuff!  That may have been the most productive meeting I've ever attended.  

Anyway, I was pretty much in the zone, so I just kept going through lunchtime and into the early afternoon.  I am knitting a pair of shortie slipper socks for The Tim using worsted weight yarn, so things were moving along at a nice pace.  By the time I told myself to stop so I wouldn't get sore hands and wrists, I'd finished decreasing for the gusset.  That - for me - is a LOT of progress in a single day.

Yesterday, after I finished what I had to do for work, I thought I'd sit down and do some more work on the sock.  And almost before I could realize what was going on, I had a HO:


I know a lot of you are really fast knitters, so this is no big deal.  And yes, I was knitting a shortie sock on heavier weight yarn - but I have NEVER knit anything at all in just two days!  And to be honest, probably never will again.  I think this was one of those times that the planets were aligned, or my chi or whatever was in balance, but in any case I KNIT A SOCK IN TWO DAYS, PEOPLE!!

The rest of the day was spent being surprised and astonished that I had accomplished such a thing.  Of course, that was short-lived as it occurred to me that I may not have enough yarn to complete the second sock.  Not a huge issue, since they are just to wear around the house, and The Tim won't care, but I'll admit that I'll be disappointed if I can't get a matching sock out of what is left.  It's yarn from my stash, and there's plenty more where that came from - just not the same color.  If I had really given it a lot of thought, I could have done some color-blocking, or even chosen another yarn.  

Such is life.  And I do have to say, the universe certainly seems to enjoy keeping me grounded whenever I get carried away with myself ... ;-)

13 comments:

Araignee said...

Wow....that is a big accomplishment! I knit one in 24 hours but I had just come home from my gall bladder surgery and still loopy and didn't know any better. I have never been able to repeat that feat as much as I've tried. My normal brain can't concentrate on one thing that long.

karen said...

Every time I'm out wearing a mask and seeing people with masks, I am amazed at how I can tell if someone is smiling. There are hints around the eyes!

Nance said...

Way to go! And it's a good-looking sock, too. I say make the other one a reverse of the first: blue with wheat striping.

And when anyone (and it's always a man) tells me to smile, I always say, "Why would you say that to me?" in a shocked, angry voice.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That certainly something to be proud of!

Dee said...

LOL Maybe it will be a good day and you will WIN at yarn chicken.

The sock looks great!

Vera said...

FAST!!! And I like the looks of that sock. The blue is so pretty with the off-white.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, a neat accomplishment! The universe has kept me grounded a lot lately, and then I surprise it right back in slowing down even more and giving it a one-two-punch to accomplish more than I had on the omnipotent universal to-do-list.
Anonymously, Annette

Kym said...

(I make mouth grimaces at some people behind my mask. Don't tell.)
XO

Caffeine Girl said...

I wish I could say I never make a thoughtless yarn choice -- but I do it all too often! It's great that Tim won't mind an unmatched pair.
The best thing about Zoom work is knitting!

WendyKnits said...

I keep forgetting that people cannot see me smile behind my mask! I always smile and say hello to my condo neighbors when I see them (and they are right now pretty much my only human contact, when I go down to get my mail, or get lunch from a visiting food truck).

Congratulations on the sock -- that is amazing! I have been doing some knitting during meetings too. I'm knitting a fairly simple pattern of afghan squares right now so it's easy to pay attention to the meeting while I knit!

AsKatKnits said...

Honestly, I quite love the "incognito" feel of mask wearing and social distancing. Added bonus... you only need to "do your eyes" before going anywhere! lol

steph said...

great great sock!!! Super accomplishment....and fingers crossed that you win the yarn chicken game. I have people all the time telling me I look so solemn (when I'm not feeling that way at all...it's just my look!), so I'm having a great time hiding behind my mask!!! I do sort of like going around incognito....

Happy day!! Happy knitting.

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

I am a slow knitter so I can appreciate your accomplishment! I saw a meme the other day - life is too short to wear matching socks. Perfect saying to go with a deliberately mismatched pair!