11 June 2020

Interesting (Well, At Least to Me)

Hello all - I hope this finds you doing well.  I considered not posting for a while, since I have received some really rude and hurtful comments after my last couple of posts.  They were from people who were angry that I was posting "recipes and knitting" when the world was falling apart, which apparently proved that I a complete racist and don't care about oppression.  Needless to say, I deleted those comments, because a) it is my blog and I don't have to give others a forum for hate even if they are accusing me of such, and b) the comments were from people I have never ever heard from before and were in no way constructive.  So though my first thought was to retreat for a while, I have decided that instead, I will go forward doing my thing.  Because that's what I do in the rest of my life, and my blog is part of that.

Moving on, I decided to participate in Three on Thursday this week.  I thought I would share three things from the past few days that particularly caught my attention.

1.  This is the one I am most personally invested in and that makes me so proud.  Rosemary Ketchum was elected to the city council in my home town and in my home state.  I love that this story will make some people realize that West Virginia has a lot going for it, and not everyone there fits the stereotype that most have.  (There are plenty of those types there, but you know what?  I've found them everywhere I've ever lived, so geography is not necessarily the main influence.)  Ms. Ketchum attended the same college that The Tim and I graduated from (granted much later than us and when we went there it was called Wheeling College ... Wheeling Jesuit University came much later), and it's nice to feel a connection with her even if I was not able to cast my vote for her.

2.  The other day, a person posted this video on Twitter, with the caption "This is an act of war."  Which made me laugh, but then I watched it and well, I had to agree.  I'm sharing it because even if I never made a cup of tea in my life, I would somehow know that this just isn't quite the way to do it.  I will qualify this by saying that in dire straits, I have used a microwave to heat water for tea (for instance, when visiting my one sister who doesn't really drink tea), but the rest of the system was particularly appalling to me.

3.  Here's an interesting article about elevators and people returning to work or going places that have large numbers of people going in and out all day. I will admit that I had not given it a lot of thought since I am still home, but it will be interesting to see what and how much is done at my workplace.

And that's that.  I hope the rest of your day goes well.

10 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Please continue to do your thing and don't let the asshats get you down.
I don't generally post about crap going on in the world because a) my thoughts on that are my own and it's MY decision whether I want to speak out on them. and b) my blog is MY space where I focus on things that make ME happy.
Yes the world is falling apart... but I don't need to dwell on that every second of every single day - and neither should you.
And if someone doesn't like it... they can suck it.

Alison said...

Hello. I feel sorry that nasty people feel entitled to attack you. Thank you for not letting them win by retreating, what sad lives they must lead while yours is so interesting and fun. I sometimes try to visualise these people - teeth clamped In a grimace, hair in disarray, panicking in case they miss an opportunity to bash their keyboards - always anonymously as cowards do! Ha ha. Keep smiling and looking forward. And thank you for sharing so sincerely.

Patty said...

Have a little tea with your milk and sugar! :-) I'm on a mean tea bender right now and loving every minute of it! Great post Bridget!

Araignee said...

The Mister is from West Virginia. I have to say I was a Maryland snob for most of my life and thought everyone there was a hillbilly until my cousin moved to Shepherdstown. It's a wonderful little city. We took Dad up once and had a great time going through all the little shops.
That tea video and the reactions were hilarious. That's the kind of thing the internet does best.
I also read that article about elevators and it was pretty eye opening. The Mister and I drove by our usually packed Park and Ride on Wednesday and there were only four cars in the whole enormous lot. I know people are going back to work but it seems like commuter buses may also be a problem for most. I had never thought of that.

kayT said...

I am so glad you are ignoring the less-than-polite who would have you...what? Mourn all day long because the world is coming to an end? Maybe it is but how does stopping recipes and knitting help? I appreciate you and everyone who is carrying on with life. It does not make us racists or oppressors or bad people. It doesn't mean we don't care. Thanks for being here and being yourself. I hope you don't get any more nasty comments.

Kim in Oregon said...

I'm sorry for the hurtful comments.

Meditations in Motion said...

I had to look up Rosemary Ketchum. Good for West Virginia! You have a beautiful state that I think is sometimes unfairly maligned. So sorry you had to deal with unkind comments on your blog. We all just need to get off of our high horses and give each other some grace.

WendyKnits said...

OMG what the hell is WRONG with people? I love coming here and seeing what you are up to, and knitting and recipes are very comforting right now. I almost never say anything political or controversial in my social media because my social media world consists of kitties and knitting. My real world consists of working for protections for our most vulnerable workers, but I separate work and personal life completely (required by my agency) so I err on the side of caution. I do note that on the very rare occasions when I did post something in solidarity for anti-racism, I suddenly lost a bunch of followers. I assume those are the white supremacists and racists. Good riddance, but lately I've been worrying -- what if there are more of them than there are of us in this country?

Dee said...

Keep doin' whatcha do, Bridget!

By the way ................that tea video made my teeth hurt! SO.MUCH.SUGAR!!! Yikes.

Kym said...

I say this at least once every single day . . . WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???? You hang in there, Bridget, and you just keep doing what you want to be doing. I always appreciate your complete breath-of-fresh-air commentary, and only wish we could sit down for a cup of tea (or something) together. XO