14 April 2021

Another Stripey FO

So far this year, I have only had 3 FOs, including this one.  This is a combination of working on two big projects - a sweater and a blanket - and only one small one, and less knitting time, both due to inspiration and my elbow issues.  Not that I am complaining, I mean I'm not doing this for a living nor am I on a deadline, but there's just less progress at this point in the year.

But I do have a finish to show you.  You may remember that about a month ago I showed you the first sock of a pair:


This sock is lonely no more!


Project:  Stripey Socks of Hope
Pattern:  Plain vanilla sock pattern that I usually use, based on this one (warning: Ravelry link)
Yarn:  West Yorkshire Spinners 4-Ply Self Striping or Patterning, in the colorway Hope
Needles:  US size 0
Notes:  I received this yarn as a gift, and finally got around to using it.  I liked the colors, and have used West Yorkshire Spinners sock yarn before and really liked it.  This was a little bit disappointing, though, since it was really splitty.  Not so that it was unbearable, just enough to be annoying.  I used size 0 needles after hearing the Crazy Sock Lady say on her podcast that when she uses 9-inch circular needles, her gauge is slightly looser on size 1 needles so she goes to a size 0.  The previous socks I've knit on the 9-inch size 1s are fine, but they are a bit looser, and I like my socks to fit right against my leg and foot, so figured I would take her advice.  I'll see once I actually wear them around if there is much of a difference to me.

As for the contrasting heels and toes, the first sock I knit had the white used for contrast, which I really liked but of course being that I am who I am, I had very little of the white left once I was done with that sock.  So for the second, I pulled out some leftover Black Bunny Fibers Stella in green that I had used for another pair of socks last year.  I am very pleased with how they look, and actually like that neither the stripes nor the contrasting parts match up completely.  

The really weird thing is that even though I made the usual size of socks that I knit, I have almost 1/2 of the ball of yarn left!  Definitely enough to make a pair of shortie socks, or for something scrappy.  Which is fine with me, because of course I'll have plenty for a square in my blanket, with plenty left to use some other way.  I was just surprised to have so much yarn left.

In any event, it's nice to have another thing off the needles, and have the feeling of accomplishment.  Now to decide what socks and for whom are next ... 

8 comments:

KSD said...

You go, girl! Stripes for the win.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Fabulous! I love their mismatched toes and heels!

Dee said...

I love the mis-matchy heels/toes. It goes so well with all the crazy stripes.

Lorette said...

I love this colorway! The West Yorkshire yarn feels just a bit denser in my hand than other sock yarns, maybe that’’s why you had more left? I’m just making that up, so who knows. It also seems to wear pretty well though.

Araignee said...

They are so fun!!
I think I do the same thing with my 9 inch needles-which I'm loving especially for colorwork. I may have to buy some smaller sizes. The mittens I just finished with mine are a bit loose. I would have figured that out myself I suppose if I ever bothered to check gauge but no.....

Kym said...

I like socks that don't match BEST. Those are just delightful, Bridget. (But mostly I love your attitude. Knitting is not a job.) (Or, at least, not for most of us.)
XO

Nance said...

Those socks look merry. Having a matching pair of shorties will be perfect.

karen said...

beautiful socks and I love the spring time banner!!