19 January 2024

FO Post: Late But Finished!

Hello from a snowy Philadelphia! We are supposedly getting a big (for us, especially recently) snow today. I'm planning a cozy day with the kitties, I just hope that things don't get too bad since The Tim is at work, and his job involves a lot of driving around. Yikes.

Anyway, on to the FO:

(unblocked, because I barely had time for a photo before they where taken by the recipient!)

Project: Replacement Iron Horse Mitts 
Pattern: Iron Horse Mitts, by Emily Butzi
Yarn: Yarn Addict Sock, colorway OOAK (One Of A Kind)
Needles: US size 3/3.25 mm
Modifications: None
Notes: I made a pair of these a few years back for The Tim, when he requested fingerless gloves, "but the kind with part of the fingers covered." Last spring, he asked if I would make him a new one because he had lost one of them, and he really likes them and wears them all the time. 

Needless to say, the rest of the skein of the original yarn I'd used was long gone, and I didn't have anything very similar in my stash. So I decided that if I came across anything that resembled the old yarn, I'd get it, because he thought they were a good color. Fast forward to October, when there was a little mini-festival of yarny things at Loop over the Rhinebeck weekend. Yarn Addict was there, and when I saw this shade of green, I knew it was pretty close to what I had originally used, so I snapped it up!

I originally planned for these to be a Christmas gift, and they were ... kind of. I think I previously mentioned the scarf I had also been knitting for The Tim, where I got well into it and then realized I'd been missing a huge part of the instructions! Well, then I just put that aside, and was putzing around doing very little knitting while doing everything else for Christmas. Finally, on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, I finished the last finger on the first of the mitts. So I took the one of the previous pair he still had, and wrapped them up as "One Old, One New, Both Kind of Similar." Well he was thrilled, which was good, and the good thing is that the yarn I'd bought in October is about as close in color as I could hope to get with a replacement pair.

The Tim could not understand why I was still planning to knit a mate for the new one, since he "only needed one, and they match pretty well." Bless his heart. I pointed out that if I finished the second one, he'd have a spare in case he lost another one. That made sense to him. 

So yesterday I finally finished the second mitt. He is thrilled to have three mitts now - a pair and an extra! Which makes me happy. He is extremely knitworthy, you know?

The pattern itself is well-written, and the result is a nice, cozy item. The "fingers" are not hard, just a bit fiddly, and there were a couple of spots where I needed to fill in a bit of a gap where I had not picked up stitches all that well. But overall, I'm pleased with them, and would recommend this pattern, which comes with two sizes (Women's and Men's, I guess).

So with this FO, I have my last project of 2023, and my first project of 2024. 

Which of course means I can start something else, right? 😊

*****

I hope all of you have a lovely weekend, and can stay warm and safe. If you are in the opposite hemisphere, I hope your weather is nice and not extreme in the opposite way of ours! 

I'm looking forward to just staying put and being cozy. All of us will be home, so it will be especially nice. I love when it's snowy and we can just all be here together.

See you next week!

6 comments:

Dee said...

Lucky man that Tim!!! The mitts look great.

Steve is knit worthy, but he only wants hats and socks. Mostly socks since he already has two hats.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You know it's loved and appreciated when you don't get time to block it!

Araignee said...

Nice mitts! I knit The Mister a pair once like that with the fingers which are so fiddly to do. He was a mail man at the time and the first time he wore them he tore one on a fence. I was not happy. He never got another pair. He's knit worthy as long as its for something that goes on his head.

Kim in Oregon said...

Great finish! I need to knit some fingerless gloves. Glad you can stay home and 'enjoy' the snow, and hope the driving isn't too bad for The Tim. Stay cozy!!

Denise said...

I've knitted lots of those style of gloves, and it's almost impossible not to get a little hole where you pick up the stitches for the fingers. You just have to close them over when you weave the ends in. After a couple of wears you can't see the join anyway.

KSD said...

It's "only" cold here. The wind, though, is making enough noises that Tap has been barking all day.