20 March 2008

BTT and a Bookish Meme

You’ve just reached the end of a book . . . what do you do now? Savor and muse over the book? Dive right into the next one? Go take the dog for a walk, the kids to the park, before even thinking about the next book you’re going to read? What?

(Obviously, there can be more than one answer, here–a book with a cliff-hanger is going to engender different reactions than a serene, stand-alone, but you get the idea!)

Most of the time, when I finish a book, I sit and think about it for a little bit. I ask myself if it was worth my time, how I felt about the characters and the story, and if it is one of the rare books I can envision reading again. I usually wait about a day until I start a new book, to see what my mood is - I may read the same kind of thing again, or change genres altogether - or I may catch up on magazines. On rare occasions, I finish a book and think that it was a total waste of time, and vow to avoid things by the same author, or of that type, again.

Melanie tagged me for this meme:

1. What book are you reading right now? I just finished reading March, by Geraldine Brooks, last night. I'm not sure what will be next.

2. What was the last book you read on a plane? I tried starting The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson, on my last plane trip, but couldn't get into it. My usual plane reading is any mystery by Mary Higgins Clark. I find them interesting enough to keep my attention, but not so involved that I can't put it down and pick it back up without problems. And they are usually just the right length for a plane trip!

3. What was the last book you read on a roadtrip? OK, technically, I guess the last roadtrip where I read a book was years ago, when we would go home for Christmas. I would read A Christmas Carol aloud during the trip. I did take a train trip this past fall, where I started reading Anne of Green Gables, so I'm counting that as a recent road trip ...

4. What was the most unusual place you found yourself reading? The library. I work in a library, and I go to the library on a regular basis, but never just to read for leisure. So that's unusual for me.

5. What books would you take to keep you occupied on a two-week vacation to the beach? I have certain rules for beach reading. First of all, I take a couple of magazines at the least. The shallower, the better. I don't like to take library books, in case they would get wet, sandy, or greasy from sunscreen, and the same goes for hardcover books. So I usually have a paperback picked out, and once again, it can't be too serious or deep. I like light mysteries, and goofy novels when I'm at the beach (or rather, the SHORE, as they say here). I've never gone on a two-week vacation anyplace, but I'm guessing that if I did, I'd take one or two small books along, and find something else to read once I got there and had finished reading the ones I brought along.

So, now it's time for three other people to play along - but only if they would like. I'll tag Kim, at hand eye crafts, Claudia and Mr Puffy at The Knitting Blog - by Mr Puffy the Dog, and Lorette, The Knitting Doctor. Feel free to tag yourself, I'm always happy to read what other people have to say!

10 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Thank you for the book tag *wag* *wag*

Um. Usually when I finish a book I don't ponder it at all because I'm about to doze off at night - but what happens is when I've liked the book over time I reflect on the story and want to go back and visit the place, characters, and experiences all over again.

Anonymous said...

I liked the meme!

And I go into another book rightaway!

Booking upto ending

Teena in Toronto said...

I dive right into the next one!

I played too :)

Anonymous said...

This is so cool.. the meme you're doing there is one I started back in January. I needed something to read on the way to Vegas and wanted suggestions. It's awesome to see the way it's made it's way around the bloggy world. Loved your answers!

teabird said...

Reading in the library... that's hilarious. I never read in the library either, and I work in one too. I read at home, or at Barnes & Noble. The library is too noisy, and I'm interrupted too often, even on my lunch hour!

Carol said...

I mourn the passing of a good story. I wait a bit ;-)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

That's really cool that you stop and think so much about the book you've just finished.

Sometimes, I find myself thinking about a book days, weeks, or sometimes months after. That's how I know it was a good read, even if I was only lukewarm about it at the time.

Lorette said...

I'll get to this one this week! Thanks for the tag!

Anonymous said...

Reading in the library? lol. But it's unusual for me too.

Careful your book doesn't melt on the beach. Remaindered hardbacks. That's what I like.

Hope your Easter was happy!

trish said...

I'll have to see if I think about books as much as you do when I finish them. My instinct is that I let it roll around in my brain, more in my subconscious than anything. But I'll try to be more congnizent next time I finish a book! :-)