12 March 2008

Stuff

You know what birthday card has always amused me? The one that says on the front, "You know what I wish for your birthday?" and then you open it up and it says, "I wish I would win the lottery." I think of that every now and then and think it would be so much fun to say it to just the right person ...

Yes, that was apropos of nothing, in case you were wondering. On to other things ...

For instance, I don't want to forget about the 2008 ABC-along, therefore:

E is for Exercise! Yes, I know that there are those who loathe it, and would rather do nearly anything (even scrub the tub) than do any regular exercise. I used to be really hit-and-miss with exercise. I would go in spurts where I would be very conscientious. Then I would get off track - for a year or more!

But after my Year of Surgical Extravaganzas, when I spent many hours in physical therapy, things changed. Granted, I'd had PT for various other things, but usually for just a few weeks, and then I would be on my merry way. But when you go to PT for a little more than a year, twice a week, and they work you in a way that you are pretty sure violates all of the rules of the Geneva Convention, you realize that even though it can be painful, dreadful, and downright frustrating, it is more than worth it in the end.

Early on, I realized that not only was the exercise helping me get my normal function back, but it was making me feel better - I could move more easily, I felt a sense of accomplishment when I completed a session, and it helped my energy levels. I started to do the exercises at home when I wasn't at PT, and when the PT was finished - you may want to sit down - I even joined a gym! (Really if you knew me at all, this would be a shocking revelation ...)

Now I am not an exercise fanatic (well, at least I don't think I am), though The Tim teases me about joining a gym. I try to get up every morning and exercise at home before I go to work, and for that, I had to get some equipment:

My humble assortment of home exercise equipment

My personal trainers posing with the exercise equipment

I try to go to the gym at least twice a week. There are times when none of this happens for a couple of days in a row, but I realize on those days that I am not nearly as comfortable moving around as the days I do at least a little bit of something, so I make the effort to stick with it. Needless to say, there are plenty of times when the only exercise I really get is pulling out the equipment and putting it away ...

Next, Claudia tagged me a week or so ago with a meme, where I share six non-important things/habits/quirks about myself. The biggest challenge is narrowing it down to only six ...

1. I generally stay away from men named Eric whenever I can. I have (for better or for worse) never known an Eric that was not obnoxious or evil. I am hoping to some day meet one who will be a good person, 'cause it's too bad that a name is always associated with bad things.

2. When the Postal Service issued Ronald Reagan stamps, I would mark any item I received in the mail bearing one "Return to Sender," so offended was I by the whole thing. Many people sent me mail with the stamps on purpose, just to see if I would really do it. Proving that fools and their money are soon parted.

3. I have always wished I had red hair. Not orangey red hair, but that really rich red shade that can't be replicated outside of the natural shade.

4. I absolutely love being near the ocean, a lake, river, etc., but do not know how to swim.

5. I always put on my left earring first.

6. I never, ever wish I could go back to being a previous age, you know, like people who say they would love to be eighteen again. Once was more than enough, thank you.

Now I'm supposed to tag six others, but nearly every one else I can think of has already been tagged, so I'll just say that if you want to share some things about yourself, feel free to consider yourself tagged!

The Tim and I are leaving this coming Friday morning (which, incidentally is also my birthday), for a weekend trip to [Almost Heaven] West Virginia, to see my sister and brother-in-law. My brother-in-law's law firm always has a St. Patrick's Day Open House, and this year it is on Friday evening, and it is the 30th anniversary of the event, so we thought it would be fun to go. My niece Amanda and her husband Pat will be there, and also my niece La Liz, her husband Greg, and their little Zachary. It should be fun, as lots of other friends, family, and assorted characters are likely to make an appearance. I have the feeling that you'll be hearing about it once we get home.

Speaking of West Virginia [mountain mama], a documentary has just been released called "Burning the Future," and my sister Mary Ellen was involved in it, and even appears on screen! It's about coal, which is of course part of the state's identity, but also part of its tragedy. If you are interested in the issues surrounding coal mining and its effect on both the environment and the population in current times, you can see a trailer here (about 2 minutes long), and a preview here (about 7 minutes long). Of course, if you have a chance, see the whole thing, it will make you think, and we should all do more of that...

OK, that's more than enough for one post, so I'll sign off, and be back in a few days to regale you with tales of my travels.

"Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong ..."

6 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you are getting away for a fun weekend with family and friends - long over due. Another benefit of exercise is that you are less likely to be injured in the first place (as long as the exercise itself doesn't get you). Thanks for playing along with the meme - I enjoyed learning some quirky things about you!

Mistrmi said...

I always put on my left earring first, too!

Anonymous said...

Happy slightly early Birthday!

If I had personal trainers like yours....lol. Exercise really is so wonderful, everytime I start walking again I wonder how I stopped...and yet. First to go in a time crunch.

Your Hedgerow socks and Dotty look really good!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that's pretty nifty about your sister in the doc!

Brigitte said...

I'm not one for "structured" exercise - so no gyms for me! I just wouldn't use it. I get my exercise by walking, and cycling.

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Lorraine said...

Bridget- Happy Birthday.

Are you saying that scrubbing the tub doesn't count as exercise?