09 March 2008

Progress Report

A new project:


This is the beginning of sock #1 of the Hedgerow Socks pattern. I saw the pattern a couple of weeks ago, on Ravelry, and really liked the look of it. So I looked to see what sock yarn I had that I wanted to use for it, and pulled out a ball of Trekking Pro Natura, a wool/bamboo blend that I had bought last year sometime at Rosie's. The color in person is not quite as intense as the photo, but I like how it looks so far, and I'm proud of myself for using stash yarn. So far, the yarn and I are getting along quite well. These will likely be one of my Christmas 2008 gifts, though I haven't decided yet who will be the recipient. However, this will likely be the last time until after next Christmas that I'll post a picture on the blog, to maintain at least a little bit of mystery, and keep them a surprise.

The pattern has a different type of heel than I am used to, and I've never done a pattern where it continues on the foot of the sock, so this one will probably keep me on my toes (and HA! it's a sock, get it??).

And more knitting done on Dotty:

This shows the colors that I have for each of the dot rows, with one of the yarns being a variegated one. I don't seem to be able to capture the true color of the main yarn, which is a rose-beige, but this is closer than last time.

At our class this past Thursday, I was really pleased, because it appears that I'm going along very well on this project, both tension- and size-wise. Now that I have more of an idea how it works, it's not as daunting. However, at some point I will get at the armholes, and need to make the V-neck, so there are still challenges ahead. But I will admit to feeling like it's all going to work out.

I still have two other projects that I want to start, one being another Christmas gift (therefore another mystery), and the other being the Sailboat hat for Ben and Halden's baby. These two projects will be the ones I can work on when I watch TV, etc., since they will be less involved. The Hedgerow Socks and Dotty will be my projects when I can pay closer attention. I think that will work pretty well, and keep me from getting tired of any individual project. For now, at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

7 comments:

teabird said...

Very, very nice sock - I like the pattern and the rosey yarn from Rosie's...

Claudia Bugh said...

Love the yarn you chose for the socks - and I think you will really like having the pattern go down to the toes. Dotty is moving along quickly. So lucky to have a class to help with the V neck - I think that could be a tricky part.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- I have yet to decide whether Ravelry is good or evil.

The sweater reminds me of Dippin' Dots.

Wendy said...

If there's hope for mine, there's hope for yours!

W

Brigitte said...

So, will you be steeking the armholes and v-neck? No problem! And believe me - it would be so much easier to insert a steek than to start knitting back and forth in colour at the armholes.

knitseashore said...

I love the watermelon color of your sock. Very summery.

Mistrmi said...

Look at all that progress!! Do you need a damp cloth for your feverish brow?