19 December 2008

Christmas Yum!

Here's Santa and Rudolph hanging out on our couch in the living room. The Santa is one that I sewed myself about fifteen years ago, for our kitty Hannah. Her nickname was "Jinglepuss," and this Santa has jingle bells on the tip of his hat, along with the pompoms. The little stuffed Rudolph was something that I sent in a UPC code for Duracell batteries to get about twenty years ago. If you press his left ear, his nose lights up. We have never even tried to take out, or change the battery, and he still works every year!


I have another recipe for you today, this time with pictures. I started making this about fifteen years ago, when I found it on one of the knitting listservs of the time (I no longer remember which one). It's really good, and relatively simple to make. (The stirring can be tedious.)

And so, without further ado:

Almond Butter Toffee**
(makes approx. 2 ½ pounds of candy)

Ingredients

1 pound butter
1 ½ c. sugar
2 c. sliced natural almonds
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup chocolate chips

Using a heavy 3-quart saucepan, blend butter, sugar, and cream of tartar over medium high to high heat.

Stir fast and constantly, until mixture forms a creamy texture and no butter remains on top. (This can also count as an upper body workout ...)


Add 1 ½ cups sliced natural almonds, and continue stirring until mixture has carmelized, or turned the color of peanut butter.

Immediately turn out onto 2 ungreased cookie sheets. Spread evenly over pans. DO NOT scrape pan, or the candy will taste scorched. *

While still hot, sprinkle with chocolate chips.



When melted, use a knife to spread chocolate over toffee mixture like frosting. Sprinkle lightly with remaining almonds and let cool completely.


Set cookie sheets in a cool, dry place overnight, for toffee and chocolate to set.

Hit candy with the back of a butter knife to break into pieces, or break by hand.

Store in an airtight container.


This keeps really well, as long as it is kept in a cool spot. (I should also warn you that if you have dental problems, this is probably not the treat for you ...)

But it is yummy, so if you try it, I hope you'll enjoy it!

*I have noticed on more than one occasion, that when I pour the mixture onto the cookie sheets, it forms a shape evocative of the map of Ireland. Hm.

**If you want to print the recipe, without printing this whole post and the pictures, it can also be found here.

11 comments:

Kerry said...

Looks delicious! I saw a tree on the left pan and Santa on the right. :-)

Chris said...

I'm going to add a link to this post from my candy post yesterday, to give people more info on the toffee making process! Look delicious.

Lisa said...

Man, that looks cracklicious.

Anonymous said...

Yum - that looks delicious!

Maureen said...

Mmm Mmm, looks yummy. I'm popping some anti-inflammatories, doing some pre-baking calisthenics and going in for another round of baking this weekend. ;)

I must give this toffee a try.

Anonymous said...

Jinglepuss! I love that. And wow, great advertising for Duracell.

That recipe looks yummy! We have almonds too. It looks like it's going to be almond toffee and Peanut butter cups (from Chris) around here soon......

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Hey, I remember that Santa from last year! Nice to see him back :)

The toffee looks wonderful. Do you also have a link to a good dentist?

Anonymous said...

Toffee keeps really well. Hmm, I'm thinking not, around here. I would have that munched up in no time! Yea, I'm gonna be making that- thanks!

Maureen said...

Danielle (aka #5) and I just made a batch and I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on her. She may not give it a chance to set before she starts sampling.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Lisa said...

Okay, I'm too lazy to make it and licking the monitor ain't working so I'm braving the ice to get some directly from the source.

Ah, hell, who am I kidding. I'm too lazy to drive.

Brigitte said...

Oh. My. Lord. That looks good. It keeps? That wouldn't be a problem with me.