22 December 2008

Ornaments and decorations

Here is this year's Christmas tree (the black blob in the lower left corner is the Garden Kitty). We ended up with an extra nice one this year, as far as size and shape. Though I must admit that we think every year's tree is the best ...

We moved into our house in December, and I bought this ornament that year in honor of the occasion:


A townhouse, red brick, with decorations - not unlike our house! It's one of those ornaments with an opening in the back for a small light, and it looks very cozy on our tree.

This Santa Lucia mouse is one of the cats' favorites. She often disappears from the tree, and is later found elsewhere in the house, fortunately never worse for the wear.


A couple of years ago, I was walking home from work one evening, and someone had put a Christmas tree on the curb to be collected by the Sanitation Department. I noticed it still had this ornament on it, so I rescued it from a terrible demise!



Here we have Yukon Cornelius, from"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," and one of the black cat stocking ornaments (we've had two black cats, so there are two of these).













Then we have this ornament, a gift from The Tim after a trip to New Orleans one year. It's a Cat-in-the-Box! The Tim says it looks like the Garden Kitty wearing a tuxedo ...




Santa brought this ornament a couple of years ago, since it looked like Doughboy.





And every year, my nephew's wife sends us some decoration or ornaments that are personalized by their four children. These are Santas, made from molds of their hands. I think they are pretty cute.

A lot of our ornaments and decorations are either personal (like these), from a vacation trip, or bought for special people, animals, or occasions. It makes it even more fun every year when we pull them out, to remember how/where we got them.

As much as I enjoy presents, as long as I have my Christmas decorations, Christmastime is here as far as I'm concerned!

7 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Garden Kitty! Be glad you're not in a tuxedo in a box, eh?

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Your tree is beautiful and full of wonderful memories! I'm so glad the mouse is no worse the wear from her adventures...

Lorraine said...

Bridget- The ornaments are lovely- thanks for the tour of the tree.

Anonymous said...

This year our tree is totally without glass ornaments- itteh bitteh kitteh already has a "nest" inside the tree. Sigh. She's just lucky she's so cute.

Anonymous said...

Your ornaments are fabulous! I love ornaments with a history.

The cats make off with the Santa Lucia mouse? How stereotypical of them. :)

Merry Christmas!

My verification word is "hyper". Something you're not sharing? lol

mary said...

As already said, thanks for the tour of the tree. Very nice. Love those four Santa ornaments. And Garden Cat in a box :) I had a cat named Tuxedo once.

knitseashore said...

The personal ornaments are the most special -- and usually the most worse for the wear. Thank you for sharing your favorites with us!!

My mom has a whole small tree with cat ornaments, so you know who rules their house. :)

Merry Christmas!!!