26 July 2019

Another Friday, Another TGIF

I don't know about you, but today on the way to work, it seemed that it was The Super Crazies Are Out Day.  My entire walk was one weird thing after another, and I was actually starting to feel like one of those people on the old "Candid Camera" show, who started looking for the hidden cameras.  Sadly, I'm 99% sure there weren't any, just actual craziness on the streets.  Which made me especially glad it was a Friday!

And so, I have decided that it's as good a day as any for a TGIF post.

Thinking about - what is it that makes others mean-spirited?  An acquaintance made a comment the other day about "People who get food stamps and buy lobsters all the time," which irritates me because that is so not true, but also because it was spoken as someone who clearly never had to rely on assistance of any kind.  When I was a kid there were many years when even though my mother worked full-time, we relied on food stamps to buy groceries.  And it never failed that people in line at the grocery store felt compelled to comment on what was being purchased.  Because, you know, they were the ones "paying for it."  God forbid she buy a treat for us on a birthday or special occasion, then the uproar would be the worst.  Because poor people are not ever supposed to enjoy anything.  Sigh.

Giggling about - my friend Johanna's birthday is today.  She is the person who introduced me to Gams, and every year I try to find a knit-related photo to post on her Facebook page on her birthday.  This year's photo has the caption, "I hope your birthday is filled with music and hot guys."

Nailed it, don't you think???

Ichthyology - OK, this is just a word I had never seen before, or heard of until I started working at my current job.  It intrigues me first of all, because of the whole "c-h,t-h" structure at the beginning, but also because I realized shortly after starting to work here, that "ichthus" is the word for this:


and then it all made sense and mind = blown.  For those of you still wondering WTF?, ichthyology is the branch of zoology that involves the study of fishes.  We have an entire Dept. of Ichthyology here at work.

Feeling like - it will be a good weekend.  First of all, it isn't supposed to be a zillion degrees with humidity, so that's a plus.  Tomorrow morning, Hamlet has an appt with the vet for his annual checkup, shots, etc., and it is always fun to see him at the vet's office, because he LOVES to go there, and is just so happy about everything involved.  That's the only specifically scheduled thing for the weekend, but there are some other things I'm hoping to accomplish, and they are the kinds of things that still leave plenty of time for just being and enjoying.

I hope all of you have a good weekend, and can enjoy some time to do what you want to do, rather than only what you have to do.  :-)

8 comments:

AsKatKnits said...

I have more than once told a person to keep their unwanted opinion to themselves as they made some rude comment to someone using WIC or SNAP. As we are graciously reminded - there will always have the poor and it is our opportunity to do something for someone else.... as you can see, this is a hot topic for me!

And, that photo... oh man, I am dying! Hahahahahahaha!

Have an awesome weekend!

Vera said...

Sounds like a nice weekend ahead Bridget - Enjoy!! (I always loved to say Ichthyology - LOL)

Dee said...

I knew the ichthyology word because my ex used to have fish business (maintaining tanks in doctor's offices and the such 0and they would get .... ichthyosis. It's deadly to them. One gets it and you can lose all your fish in that tank.

Me ............I hate fish. I think ICH is the exact right word for the study of them.

I feel about fish like most people feel about snakes (and snakes, I like.)

Lorette said...

That sweater cracks me up!

The food stamp snobs drive me batty. We live a comfortable enough life that I could buy lobster if I wanted to (I don’t), but that wasn’t always the case. My mom essentially raised four kids (and her mother too) on a teacher’s salary. When cash ran short, we would eat creamed peas on toast for supper, and she’d talk it up like it was a major treat. I can’t imagine feeding a family these days on what most people make. And when you are on a really tight food budget, you don’t have the option of buying anything that your kids are going to turn their noses up at.

Ack. Now you’ve got me started.

Mereknits said...

That comment was so rude, but I am afraid a lot of people feel that way. Where has compassion gone in our society?

kathy b said...

Bridget, I don't understand mean. It is cruel and so hurtful. Mean people I can't stand to be around. My father in law could get very very mean. I still remember his hurtful comments. We don't do mean here. Im so glad

karen said...

Frodo is okay at the vet, he's the happiest when we leave to go into the car :) It's hot here and I'm so over summertime and we have a ways to go.

Nance said...

A great many people simply need to Mind Their Own Business and adopt The Thumper Rule: If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.

What on Earth is to be gained by putting any ugliness and nastiness out into the world, especially these days? My motto: Kindness Is My Default.