09 July 2019

Busy and Buzzy

Well, we all made it through Monday, so that's always good news.  And if you are reading this, it means you woke up today, which is better than the alternative, right?  

As today is Tiny Needle Tuesday, I wanted to show you my honeybee counted cross-stitch project.  When you last saw it, I had started working on the honeycombs on the side of the bee.  Well, over the weekend, I was able to get them completely finished, and now I can move on to the other half of the bee and the honeycombs on the other side!


Now, lest you think my work is perfection, please know it is not.  For the most part, the stitches are where they should be.  But there are plenty of areas where I got the wrong count, or missed a row, etc., and didn't realize it until well after the fact.  Because this is for me, I wasn't going to go back and fix it.  It does mean that the finished piece won't be completely symmetrical like it's supposed to be, but I can live with that. 

I do have a question for those of you that also do cross-stitch or embroidery, etc.  As you can see above, I am using a hoop to hold the fabric while I work on it.  I know that another option is the Q-Snap, which I had only seen people using in the last couple of years.  Do any of you use these at all?  In your opinion, are they better/easier/nicer to use than the hoops?  Since they are not completely inexpensive, I hesitate to buy one, since I have no issues with using a hoop.  But if they are the most amazing thing in the world to use, I may decide to find one on sale or something.  So please weigh in on this incredibly important topic!

I hope your day goes well.  It's an especially nice day here in Philadelphia, so I was able to enjoy my morning walk with Hamlet and my walk to work.  Hopefully the walk home will be as pleasant, if a bit warmer.  Because it sounds like tomorrow we are back to the ick of heat and humidity.  WHY?????

13 comments:

Nance said...

The honeybee project looks great to me! I just know better than to even attempt close, persnickety work like that. It wouldn't be relaxing for me.

AsKatKnits said...

I think your bee stitching is gorgeous! (and I am a hoop user and know nothing about the q-snaps, sorry!)

I am trying my hardest to be happy with each season, but the humidity is making that almost impossible! GRRRR!

Kym said...

What a sweet little bee! (And I'm pretty sure real live bees are not exactly symmetrical either.) (Perfection in all things is overrated.) Hope your walk home is pleasant. XO

Dee said...

I like Q-Snaps better than hoops because they give you a better grip (in my opinion).

I have a set that you may have, if you'd like to try them. We just have to figure out when we could get together to pass them off to you OR I could mail them to you. They are the 11" square size.

Bonny said...

I think your honeybee stitchery looks great! (And I sincerely hope that you don't have anyone visiting that will count your stitches and comment on the lack of symmetry!)

Vera said...

Your bee stitching is so cute Bridget! I don't use a hoop or Q-snaps. I prefer to stitch holding the linen in hand. The only time I use a hoop is when I'm doing Hardanger and need the fabric to be really taut.

Araignee said...

I love my Q snap because it doesn't wrinkle the material. I am very fussy about wrinkles for some reason. It bothers me to see them in my finished work while I am still stitching in other areas. I also use a floor stand and the Q fits in it nicely so I can use both hands.
I am also fudging my latest sheep. I have counted and recounted and still can't find my mistake so she is going to be a bit fluffier than imagined by the designer.

Kim in Oregon said...

LURVE the honeycombs! That is looking great. Stitch counts, pphaw. They are merely suggestions.

I have not heard of Q snaps but of course now i have to go find out about them.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Your stitches are looking BEE-u-tiful! And who wants perfection anyway. Perfection is boring!

Tired Teacher said...

I prefer hoops because they keep my fabric taut.

KSD said...

I'd never heard of a Q-Snap, so there's no help here. I like to use spring tension hoops for holding the fabric tight. My mother used wooden "frames," and swore by them, but she generally did large pieces, and constantly moving hoops was impractical.

Caffeine Girl said...

Thanks for asking the question! I haven't tried Q-snaps, but now I think I should.
I envy people like Vera who can hold the material firmly. I've tried with disastrous results.

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

It's been years since I cross stitched and didn't know it was called a q snap but yes, I love mine. It holds the fabric tighter and is easier to tighten if the fabric loosens up a little. It's also wider so it's easier to grip with your hand. I've also seen fabric covers that fit over the the q snap so that the oils in your hands and/or everyday grime don't dirty up the fabric. The cover also somehow holds the extra fabric and keeps it out of the way. I'm really not sure how they work, I've only recently heard about them but several people have mentioned how wonderful they are. Your bee looks great!