23 April 2020

Quarantine Projects

Before I head off to my work dept Zoom meeting, I thought I'd write this post, because after those, I am always so sad and depressed, it might never happen!  And since it's Three on Thursday, and I currently have three projects underway, it means I could have a post that is kinda sorta a no-brainer.  😉

Thus I give you my Quarantine Projects, in their current states.

1.  Social Distance Sweater - this is something I've had the yarn to make for a while, and finally cast on.  The pattern is the Pavement, and though it's a basic item, the people I know who have knit it have ended up with lovely sweaters. 


As you can see, I have most of the body knit - I'm nearly to the bottom edging, then it will be sleeve time.  This photo doesn't show the color properly, but it's a tough color to photograph - a very dark gray/green.  Once I got past the neckline start, it's been an enjoyable knit.  I started this in the first week in quarantine, and am hoping to have it finished soon, since I've thought about knitting this for a long time.  I don't know if I'll have many chances to wear it before it gets too warm, but even so, it will be waiting for me as a perfect transition piece next fall.

2.  Easter Egg Scrappy Shortie Socks - I showed you the finished first sock the other day, and have been making good progress on the second.  As of yesterday, I am onto the foot, so these should be finished soon.  The pattern is just a vanilla sock pattern, turned into shortie socks.


3.  Down the Shore Shawl - as a reminder, this is the Beachcomber pattern.  I have finished the first two sections, and just barely started on the third.  This is not a hard knit per se, but the Knit Picks CotLin yarn is not as easy to work with though it is not unpleasant.  Because it's not wool or other more elastic fabric, it can be hard to maneuver stitches in the lace sections.


It's an enjoyable knit and not difficult in and of itself, and I am just really loving the way it's turning out.  Right now, I am about 2 rows into the third section, and then will be doing a picot bindoff, which will be a new thing for me.  Hopefully I'll be successful, as I do like the look of that bindoff.

Normally, other than socks, I would not be this far along on the larger projects, but I'll take it!  Especially when I lost my reading mojo for a while, these kept me good company.  They are all things I wanted to knit, and are all enjoyable for different reasons.  And right now, given the way things are going as far as reopening things around here (not happening  any big way in Philadelphia anytime soon), they may all truly turn out to be quarantine projects - started AND finished before all of this is in the past.  I guess I may very well end up all dressed up with no place to go ... 

10 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

They are all looking great. You're making fabulous progress

Araignee said...

You are really flying on that sweater! I love the colors in the shawl. I was just looking at a ball of cotton I had spun ages ago that was a fail for a dishcloth-too soft and drapey but it might make a good summer shawl. I'll have to go looking for a pattern-and finish spinning the rest of the cotton.

KSD said...

The turquoise and orange combination is glorious.

Shirley said...

What wonderful projects you have in the works! The colors of the socks and shawl are so cheerful and happy. I have put aside my sewing project to work exclusively on making masks. One of the rescue groups in my area is doing a fundraiser selling homemade masks. It's therapy sewing for me, a contribution for the animals and helping supply needed masks.

Patty said...

Excellent Bridget! On one hand I hope you do have three fine finished pieces...on the other end this damn shut down and set us free! (I don't really mean that...I respect what we're doing!!!)

Dee said...

Nice projects. That shawl is the perfect summery colors.

Minerva said...

It will be nice to have a sweater. I find them to be quite a satisfying knit when finished. I haven't heard of this pattern, will have to go look. Love the Beachcomber! Nice bright colors.

Nance said...

Love the look of that sweater. I can just see the finished product.

But that shawl! It makes me think of sunsets at the lake. The colours are so evocative of that. It's really a lovely piece.

karen said...

sorry that zoom meetings are bucket drainers for you. Boo. Lovely knits and I especially love that shawl, great color combinations!

AsKatKnits said...

SAH Knitting is truly a thing of beauty, isn't it??? XO