14 February 2024

Heart Day

Hello there! I hope you are having a good Valentine's Day if you enjoy celebrating it. We do celebrate, usually with cards and treats, but the primary focus of the day is this guy's birthday:


Today, Pip turns 13 years old! Yep, he's a teenager, so now he'll probably start ignoring us, get lots of piercings and tattoos, and roll his eyes whenever we make a joke ... 😊

Later we'll have a cheesecake and presents, and the kit kats will get some special treats to celebrate. Pip is well worth celebrating, as he is an amazing kitty, and it would be hard to find a cat who is sweeter. So Happy Valentine's birthday, sweet boy, we love you!

Today is also Ash Wednesday, which signals the beginning of Lent for Christians. When I was a kid, I would always agonize over what to "give up" for Lent. Since my birthday was always during that time, I didn't want to give up anything that could jeopardize my birthday celebration or my birthday cake, so it was hard. (I was a good kid, but I wasn't any kind of ridiculous sainted child who was *that* willing to sacrifice something!)

******

I just spent about an hour with a guy who came to the house to give us an estimate on a new front door. I have no idea how old the current door is, but we have wanted to replace it since we moved in. Now that we have some money saved up for repairs, etc., it was time. One nice thing was that the estimate was much less than we had expected. Even though the door is not standard, because of course it's not - nothing in our nineteenth-century house is, so no surprise there. Still, it's always just a matter of waiting to hear it whenever someone comes to check something.

As would be the case, the guy left after giving the estimate. And now Alfie is bereft. Alfie loves nothing more than having workmen come to the house. He has to be with them the whole time, and rubs against them, purrs, etc. Fortunately most people who have shown up have been animal lovers, or amused enough to not mind him terribly. However, the guy today was here for a while, and I think Alfie thought he was going to stay for lunch or something. So the fact that he left was quite upsetting. Alfie has been pawing the door and crying ever since. Even Esme was compelled to come downstairs to try and comfort him, but it just isn't enough. So please keep Alfie in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time ... 😝

Alfie: "If you are reading this, please contact PETA and let them know how neglected I am. As you can see, I'm nearly skin and bones from starvation and neglect."

Our poor house - we've lived here now for 30+ years and never had the available funds to do much fixing up or repairs that weren't absolutely, immediately necessary. Now that the mortgage is paid, we can start to get things done. I can only imagine the house breathing a sigh of relief - "The roof and now maybe a better door! They do love me after all!"

*****

Today I am hoping to get some things organized as far as my knitting projects are concerned. I'm trying to be more conscious of what I am making and why, and part of that means keeping better track of everything. I have a "system" that I think will work, and I'm going to do my best to set it up today. Who knows, I may be abandoning it in record time, or it may actually help, but I won't find out until I actually give it a try.

Are any of the rest of you having a sudden desire to knit every single thing in the world right away, or is it just me? I generally see things that I might want to knit and am happy enough to wait until one or more things are completed. But lately, I see something I like and instead of seeing it in terms of a down-the-road project, I feel like if I don't make it NOW or SOON, I just won't survive another day. Fortunately, most of the time I don't have the yarn on hand to make it, so I just wait for the feeling to pass. But this has never been something I've felt before, and I can't say I enjoy it. Like all of a sudden I have knitting FOMO, but I know in my heart that a) I probably won't care by the next day, and b) most of the things I see are not the kind of things I would enjoy knitting or that would fit in my wardrobe anyway. 

I'm sure it's some kind of temporary insanity on my part. And it is true that a lot of it is a "this moment" kind of feeling. So temporary that it's forgotten when the next amazing thing comes along. That's usually not my M.O., but especially the past few weeks it's been the case. 

However, it does mean that trying to get organized today will make me aware of what projects I am enjoying, and that should help to get me back on track. I'll try to take some photos, so I can show all of you what is happening knit-wise around here.

So enjoy your day one way or the other and if nothing else, feel free to give yourself a treat in honor of Pip!

7 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

Happy Birthday to Pip! What a special day for a special cat!
I certainly hope Alfie gets over his trauma in order to help celebrate Pip. Alfie is cracking me up today.
I am not in a 'cast on all the things' mood right now but I certainly have felt that feeling many many times before. Good luck with it!

Araignee said...

Happy birthday Pip! You've got some very pretty kitties.

It took me almost 30 years to get my new front door after years of hemming and hawing about it. It wasn't exactly cheap but it did cost less than we thought and the one workman (from Lowes) was in and out in a flash.

I am in the knitting hell with the two big gray blobs I am working on. I HATE knitting things for other people but son asked for two sweaters so now I am stuck. There are so many things I would rather be working on but I can't until I get these two things done. I have to force myself to pick them up everyday.

KSD said...

Tap, Madeleine, Riley, and I will be holding a candlelight vigil in recognition of Alfie's pain.

Kym said...

Happy Birthday wishes to dear Pip!!! I hope he enjoyed his day. It certainly sounded like he was well-feted! I'm so glad you're able to attend to home maintenance chores/projects. It's so much nicer to be able to apply your $$$ to things you can SEE . . . instead of to interest payments. Every once in a while, I go through periods where I have so many ideas of things I want to knit that I drive myself crazy. I haven't had one in a while, but I can feel another one building. Must be the season??? XO

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Happy Birthday Pip! And Alfie, I'm sending hugs! How dare people leave you so bereft!

Nance said...

You just need to follow my mother's rules for Lent:
1. On Sundays, you can have whatever you gave up.
2. If your birthday is during Lent, you don't have to observe Lent on that day.
3. If you're sick or have your period, you don't have to observe Lent during those/that day.
4. If you're having a personal crisis (like your boyfriend broke up with you or you failed a test) you don't have to observe Lent that day.

Tell Alfie that I'm on the alert now for any other infractions, and the appropriate number is programmed into my phone.

Dee said...

Happy birthday dear Pip!

Giroux loved the guy that did our insulation. Followed him everywhere in the house. I said something about it and he raised his pant legs to show -------cat tattoos, both calves! LOL

The appliance repair guy is a cat guy too. Good thing 'cuz he's been here so often he is almost family.