Halden's last name before she got married (and James' middle name) is FitzGerald. In my regular perusals of the Three Irish Girls site, I'd seen a really lovely colorway with that name, and had always wanted to make something for Halden out of it.
So what happened when I went to order some? It had been discontinued! I sent a note, asking about it, and they were nice enough to send me a note suggesting a source that might still have some - SCORE!
Next I had to choose a pattern. I wanted a cowl, and actually had one in mind, but I tried to use the pattern, and it just didn't work. So I decided to try a free pattern from Madeline Tosh, called Honey Cowl. It was fun to knit, but I wasn't really sure how it looked - meaning, did it look nice in the yarn? After several people assured me quite emphatically that it did in fact look great, I continued. Pretty quickly, it was done and ready to photograph.
(modeled by Barnsie the Bear, with the top turned over like a cuff)
Pattern: Honey Cowl (short version)
Yarn: Wexford Merino Silk, in the FitzGerald colorway, from Three Irish Girls
Needles: Size 8US
Modifications: None. I couldn't afford enough yarn to make the longer version of the pattern, but the small size was just right. The yarn could not be nicer - soft, cushy, with a teeny bit of shine to it. It made knitting the pattern extra enjoyable. It was my first experience with Three Irish Girls, and I can't say enough nice things about them!
For James, I decided to go with a tried-and-true pattern, my Zach Attack Hat. I have no idea if James is a football fan, but I know that Ben is, and that little boys often like to be like their fathers. Since Ben's favorite team is the Denver Broncos, and they now live in Denver, I decided to use the Broncos' team colors, orange and bright blue. I love the result, and hope he will too!
Project: A Broncos Hat for James
Pattern: Zach Attack Hat
Yarn: Nashua Creative Focus Worsted, in Blue and Orange (I lost the ball bands, so cannot give you colorway numbers, sorry!)
Needles: Size 7US
Modifications: I decided to try corrugated ribbing, and I really like the way it turned out! I also knit two additional rows of the orange before switching to the blue yarn.
Here's another picture for you:
(what can I say, Barnsie is a ham ...)
In the end, I'm happy with all three knits, and hope that they will keep the entire family feeling warm and loved. Now all I need is their new address, so I can put them in the mail!