27 December 2011

Christmas Eve Recap

Yes, I know that some eejits have already started taking down their Christmas decorations, or are getting ready to in the next few days, but you all know me better than that, right?  So you're going to be hearing more about our Christmastime for a while.  If this is boring and/or tiresome for you, don't say I didn't warn you!

The Tim had to work on Christmas Eve, as usual, but that was fine because I still had a few last-minute errands to run one or two things to wrap.   I enjoy going out on Christmas Eve, because I enjoy the hustle and the bustle of the day, and I am hardly ever - well, I guess ever so far - in the predicament of having to get something last minute.  So for about an hour and a half in the morning, I was out and about, and enjoying it quite a bit.  (Though - and here I am sounding like a broken record - it could have been colder.  It was cool, but not cool enough for December 24.  OK, I've said that, now I'll move on.)

When I got home, I decided to go ahead and finish up the couple of things I needed to wrap, as well as put bows on the things that were all ready, otherwise.  Dug the Dog decided to help, but apparently found it terribly dull!


Then, Pip arrived to help, and to keep track of Dug as well:


However, after a few minutes, Pip got tired of a) Dug just sleeping, and b) being too close to the location of the ribbon and bows, which kept him from being able to attack them, so he left.

Then, Jetsam came to explore when I threw an empty wrapping paper roll into the hallway - but wait, as he approached, he too discovered a sleeping Dug!


As a result, he had to keep a safe distance, and was not able to attack the wrapping paper:


The good part of all this, was that I managed to get things finished much more quickly than I usually do with my "helpers"; the bad thing was, I had about 2 feet to maneuver and felt like I was a sardine!

Anyway, the wrapping and bows were finished, and I wanted to clean up a little bit before starting on our Christmas Eve Risotto for dinner.  There wasn't really a lot to do, just making sure of some things, like Jetsam and Pip having their stockings hung where Santa would find them.


(Don't worry - I found an extra we had to add for Dug!).  The place looked pretty nice by the end of the afternoon.



The Tim got home and we had a lovely, leisurely dinner.  Then while The Tim put bows on his gifts and had a chance to decompress, Dug and I took a walk to Rittenhouse Square to see if I could get some nice pictures of the decorations at night.  I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself.

Rittenhouse Square Christmas Tree (there is also a menorah.  So many people were there, I couldn't get a good picture.  Sorry!)

The Tree, the ball lights in the trees, and part of 
one of the street lights that always lights the Square.

The Christmas Tree, and the police squad detail gazebo
(that has to be one of the best gigs for a police officer).  

It's so Christmas-y and so festive, that it wears off on most people walking through.  On this Christmas Eve, Dug got himself quite a fan club - at one point there were about 8 people all around him, petting him and paying him all kinds of attention.  I think he was a pretty happy boy, since I had a hard time convincing him that we should come home!

By the time we got home, it was time to put on pjs and relax, before going to bed and hoping that Santa would remember us!

It would have been nice if The Tim could have been home all day on Christmas Eve, but in spite of that, it was a Christmas Eve that was as it should be.  Anticipation, preparation, and relaxation.

We are blessed.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, that all sounds so lovely. Christmas Eve is my absolute favorite day of the year.

SissySees said...

Beautiful. I sent out the last of the Christmas cards this morning with a reminder that I was raised Catholic and celebrate the 12 days of Christmas, right up through Jan. 6th!! ;)

andrea said...

fantastic photos of the christmas lights!!!


merry christmas, b!