07 October 2019

Everything But Paying the Bills

Hello sports fans!  (I know there are plenty of you out there who are not sports fans, but that's what my mother used to say each morning to us when we got up to go to school.)  I hope your weekend was a good one, and that anyone in my part of the universe enjoyed the cool (even cold on Saturday morning!) weather that made it feel truly like fall had arrived.

I had some ideas in my mind of what I had hoped to accomplish this weekend.  I stopped making actual lists for that a couple of years ago, because I realized that by the end of the weekend, if every single thing was not checked off, I'd feel bad.  And none of the things on the list were things like "Finally cure cancer," so why feel bad?  At a minimum, I did the necessary things (laundry), and we weren't coming down with diseases from a somewhat dirty house yet, so I decided to do two things: 1) make a list in my mind of no more than 5 things, and 2) to lower my expectations to the point where if I didn't get everything done, it was still OK.  You know what?  I has made a big difference.  I may be frustrated when I didn't get to something, but I don't feel as if I have failed.

So for this weekend, here was what I had in my head to do:

1. Go to Michael's/A.C. Moore/whatever too look for a few specific cross-stitch supplies.
2.  Start working on my next cross-stitch project if one specific supply was located.
3.  Clean the first floor.
4.  Start gift knits.
5.  Give myself a manicure, so that my nails stop catching on stuff.
6.  Pay the bills.

Saturday morning, The Tim wanted to go to Home Depot (Home Despot to us) for something, and I knew there was a larger A.C. Moore in that shopping center than the one in Center City, which did not have any of the things I was trying to find.  So I joined him and had success with all the things I was trying to locate!

Then I got started on my next cross-stitch project, which will be a gift for my niece Amanda - tune in tomorrow to see what progress has been made.

Yesterday, I got an early start, and the first floor was clean by noon - YAY!  So I sat down and started on some of my planned gift knits while watching the Eagles game.  Here's what I have so far:


This is going to be a pair of Christmas socks for my great-nephew Oden, who is 18 months old.  Socks sure go quickly when you use worsted weight yarn and you are making tiny ones!  I am using the Rye Light pattern from Tin Can Knits for these.

Then, after dinner, because it was getting really ridiculous and I wanted to avoid further discomfort from my nails catching on things, I gave myself a manicure.   Which was just as well, since I and my brain were kinda tired, so paying the bills would have taken twice as long.  

I'll do that tonight, when it will count as an accomplishment for the evening.  ;-)

So it was a good weekend for my brain list, and an even better weekend for me.  I got some things done, and was able to enjoy walks with Hamlet and the cooler weather.  It was nice to cozy up in bed at night instead of feeling all sweaty and just hoping you can fall asleep!

This is a short work week for me, since I have to take Friday off for medical stuff.  All the way to work today I kept reminding myself - "Four days, you can do it!"  I'm not looking forward to the medical stuff, but it should be finished in early to mid-afternoon, so I should have at least some of Friday to enjoy being home.

OK, let's be truthful here - I'll spend the whole day being glad I'm not at work!

9 comments:

Araignee said...

Whew.......I got tired just reading all the things you did! I can't wait to see the new stitching project.

Nance said...

Oh, think of how quickly socks would go in super bulky!

The Christmas socks are terrific. I just love littles wearing cute hand-knit slippers or socks.

And I'm with you on the list thing. I prefer to have goals for the week and give myself a little leeway.

KSD said...

I guess you really can find something to be glad about if you look hard enough.

Dee said...

Can't wait to see what the cross stitch stuff is. I started a new project this weekend too, but admittedly, not MUCH got done on it.

Kym said...

What a great, productive weekend! (And I'm excited to see your new stitching project, too.) XO

Shirley said...

Sounds like your mental list had a good balance of things needing to be done and things you wanted to do. Love the color of the little sock. Hope your week goes well and you get good results from the medical stuff on Friday. It appears as though fall has finally pushed summer out the door and we will enjoy some beautiful weather.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Sounds like a productive weekend to me!

AsKatKnits said...

I am chuckling at Home Despot... (We call it Home Derpo in this house) and I too can't wait to see your new stitching!

karen said...

that is an ambitious list and I love it. I knit for people all year round and put the knits in a box and then go through the box when ready to gift away. Sometimes I gift something I knit to myself :)