01 October 2019

One of the Best Days Ever!


Do you see the cutie in this photo?  That is my nephew Chad, born 50 years ago today!  It was one of the most exciting days of my life, and I was so pleased be an aunt.  In this photo, he is three weeks old, and I forgot how much hair he had, how chubby he was (he was 9 pounds at birth!), and that my sister Nancy had her hair bleached platinum blonde.  :-)

Thus begins The Birthday Marathon, and also a bittersweet time.  Life really is full of good and bad moments and memories, and they can hit you when you least expect it.

I remember when Chad was born, my parents were SO excited!  Though I also remember that all of us were perplexed to think our family now included a boy - we were a family of three girls, and my mom was an only child and my dad grew up with two sisters, so a boy was a completely foreign thing to us.  Chad was a cute kid who was a lot of fun, and we have so many funny stories about him.  My father met him once, which neither would really have known, as Chad was only a few weeks old and my father was in a coma.  But oh how proud and thrilled he would have been to know what a kind and wonderful person his grandson turned out to be.

Chad and his family of a wife, three daughters, a son, and about a bazillion pets all live in Arizona, so I seldom get to see him.  But when he was little, my sister and her family lived in Maryland, so I got to spend a lot of time with him.  I hope his memories of our adventures are as happy and fun as mine are.

He is also fortunate because both of his parents are still alive and healthy, as well as his sister and her family.  From all accounts he is doing very well in his career, and his kids are all intelligent, kind, and good people.  It's a gift to have been able to see him grow up and become and adult - one that neither of my parents had, so I am trying to enjoy and appreciate it for them as well.

Happy October 1, and Happy Happy Birthday to Chad!  May many more happy days be in your future.

7 comments:

Nance said...

What lovely and joyful memories you have of your Chad! It's clear that you feel a special warmth for him.

And remember the wise words of so many with regards to your days ahead: It's a (Birthday) Marathon, not a Sprint! ;-)

Araignee said...

Such wonderful memories!
We were a family of three daughters also and when my son was born it was like having an alien from outer space in the family. A boy? What on earth do you do with a boy? Of course the answer was to spoil him rotten until his little brother came along 18 months later.

Kym said...

What a wonderful start to your Birthday Marathon! Happy birthday to Chad -- and thanks for sharing your special memories of a cherished nephew. XO

Dee said...

Happy 50th to Chad!!! I hope he has a wonderful *new* year ahead of him.

Shirley said...

What a wonderful start to your birthday marathon with the birthday of a very special person. (Well, I am sure they are all special.) What wonderful memories you have of your nephew's childhood and being able to spend time with him. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Lilly's Mom said...

This is such a heartwarming story down memory lane. Chad is lucky to have you as his dear Aunt!

AsKatKnits said...

What a perfect start to Birthday Marathon! And, I find that the good memories somehow outweigh the bad, but perhaps that is just how it works for everyone. Happy Birthday Chad! It is most fitting that you should be the one to kick off the Marathon! May your year be full of good things!