25 September 2019

Here We Go

Yesterday, one of the local metereologists posted this on Twitter.


Now, I know for a lot of people, this is upsetting/depressing/whatever.  But for me, this is just the best!  I love this time of year when some of my favorite things/times just come at once!  

But I was already thinking about it, since in my family, there are 15 birthdays between October 1 and December 30 - we call it The Birthday Marathon.  Fortunately, I don't have to have gifts for every single birthday, but I do like to at least try to send a card so that they know I'm thinking of them.

Plus, our anniversary is October 28, and The Tim's birthday is November 18 - which always throws me off, because all of a sudden one happens, the next happens, Thankgiving happens, Christmas happens, and BAM it's the new year!

However, this doesn't mean I start to panic.  First of all, as I said above, I really like this time of year.  Secondly, for the past few years I have tried harder than ever to live in the moment.  So, although I  try to plan ahead as far as gifts are concerned, I don't let myself *get* ahead of things.  I've always been able to do this to some degree, but it's even more so now.  And as a result, I appreciate it, enjoy it, and am always sad to see things end.  

I have not actually started any gift knitting yet (long story involving misplacing things, but it's all good now), but I'm ready.  I'm not making a whole lot of things, but my goal is to be finished with things needing to be mailed by the end of November - end of first week of December at the most.  And I'm thinking it's completely doable.  

Things for The Tim can take longer, because I don't have to mail them, but I try to not leave those until the last-minute either.  

Some hats and some kiddo socks (house-type/slipper socks in worsted weight) are the main items I'm planning to knit that will need to be mailed, so I think I'll be OK there.  

I'm still knitting away on my Pabaigh, and am not that far away from finishing it, but then it's not likely I'll start anything for myself that I want right away until after the holidays.  

Though I reserve the right to start a Christmas-themed project for myself because Christmas comes every year, and it will be for me, so if it isn't finished until January, it will be a surprise for me next year as I will pack it away until then.

But for now, I have to finish September, and get ready for the birthdays to begin.  The first birthday, on October 1, is my nephew's 50th, and though I don't generally send him a gift, I'm hoping to get something together to send him that I think he may like.  I'll keep you posted.  :-)

12 comments:

AsKatKnits said...

I love the Birthday Marathon! Ha! All the good things in such a short bit of time... I too am savoring every moment of these last days of the year!

Araignee said...

I am dreading the holidays this year. Last year's were so difficult it still hurts to think about it. I am going to be skipping Christmas for sure and thank goodness Daughter is hosting Thanksgiving. I told The Mister it's time for us to start new traditions. I need to look forward instead of backwards. There are way too many ghosts of Christmas pasts to be able to feel anything but sorrow anymore.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I love this time of year too.
I don't have quite the event marathon that you do, but its close.

Oct for us is Thanksgiving (I like the way we Canadians do it in October, instead of November), our Anniversary, and of course Hallowe'een.

November is a month of nothing, but I like it because it's ideal for prepping for December.

Because December is (birthdays) Paisley, Me, my brother, my cousins, Sam's son Owen, my friend Bree, my Dad, then Christmas!

As you know, I start presents early. Its partly to save stress but also money, because I can spread the expense across the year instead of all at once.

KSD said...

Still waiting for it to feel Fall here for more than a day or so. Like you, this count fills me with hope and happiness.

Shirley said...

Fall is my favorite season! I love all the activities, the cooler weather, the bugs go away, pumpkins, mums, etc. Now we just need some cooler days. Right now, our ten day forecast is upper 80s/90s and no rain (which we desperately need). Looking forward to seeing the gifts you create.

Kym said...

Love your Birthday Marathon, Bridget! In my family (both my birth-family and my immediate family), our birthdays are pretty well spread out through the year (we do have a dearth of birthdays in the fall -- maybe because your family got them all????), but Tom's family has them all glommed up in a couple of super-bursts! So funny how things fall.

It sounds like you have a great attitude about the season ahead!

Dee said...

Wow! That is a lot of special days all bunched up together.


From now til Thanksgiving is my favorite time of year. I know I'm in the minority, but I've NEVER been a big fan of Christmas.

Nance said...

I'm with Dee on The Holidays and Shirley with the weather report. Just like last year around here, we're getting a huge push of summer weather at the end of September and start of October. Ugh.

And like you, I've worked hard this past year on being much more Zen and letting a lot of stuff roll off my back. I want to be more In The Now. My knitting is supposed to be my Pleasure and my Therapy. If it feels like a chore, I refine my expectations.

kathy b said...

Well I loved that list of fun days ahead!

karen said...

I knit all year round, and I have to have some gifts ready by October and more by November. So when December rolls around I am not completely overwhelmed.

Mereknits said...

Sounds like you are going to be very busy. I am finishing up a shawl this weekend that will be a Christmas present, that will be number two done for me. I am only making for things for presents this year. So I am almost half way there! Good luck Bridget!

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

Our marathon is the month of June (3 birthdays and a wedding anniversary over 4 back to back days) and then November - February. Four birthdays+ Thanksgiving in Nov., 2 birthdays + Christmas & New Year's in Dec., New Years Day, another 2 birthdays for Jan. then Feb. ends it all with Valentines & my son's birthday. Poor kid, by then I'm so broke and tired of it all he gets stuck with left over heart shaped candy for his birthday every year.