23 September 2019

Starting With a Finish

Hello and Happy First Day of Fall (even if summer weather is still horning in)!  Yes, I am annoyed that the fall weather we had last week turned back into summer weather, BUT - I know that as we go forward, fall will really happen, and the weather and temperatures will be those that make me both comfortable and happier.  (Unlike summer, where I know it will only get hotter before it's time to cool off.)

Anyway, I hope all of you had a good weekend, or at a minimum, not a terrible one.  Mine started out OK, but got derailed yesterday and I never caught up with myself.  At least it was on a Sunday and didn't put the whole weekend out of sync!

The good news is, I have a finish to show you - YAY!  



Project:  Grey Tabby Socks
Pattern:  Heel Toe Do Si Do, from Crazy Sock Lady Designs
Yarn:  Ancient Arts Fibre Crafts 100% Superwash BFL Wool 4-Ply Fingering Sock in the Grey Tabby colorway (part of their Meow Collection)
Needles:  US size 1
Modifications:  I did a normal 2 x 2 rib at the top, rather than the twisted rib indicated in the pattern.
Comments:  This was such a fun knit, the pattern just zooms along!  You can't tell in this photo, but the front of the sock ends up with a chevron-type look, and it's easy enough to remember that after the first few 2-row repeats, you've got it in your head.  I probably could have finished these sooner, but I took some time to [obsessively] finish my counted cross-stitch project.  I've never knit one of the Crazy Sock Lady's patterns before, but if they are as well done/written as this one, she has her sh*t together, I must say.

The yarn is from my stash, which pleases me, and it is has a cozy feel to it as you are knitting.  It moves along well in your hands, and doesn't get tangled on itself along the way.

These will be for me, and now that they are finished, it's time to get started on some gift knitting.  I don't have a lot planned, but I want to get it underway so I'm not doing anything at the very last minute.

Finally, RIP to my Edie sweater, at least for now.  I took it over to Loop yesterday, when they were offering a help session.  Besides the issues that started the whole thing out, the person there pointed out to me that the friend who made a temporary fix (said friend said she had "triaged" it), had actually done something that meant that the sleeve that was the problem had about 20 extra stitches on the needle, so regardless of what could/could not be figured out, the sleeves would not match at all.  I went home and frogged it, which on the one hand was dismaying, but on the other hand was OK because since it's linen, I won't even think of re-knitting it until next spring/early summer, when it will all feel new again.  And at least in theory, since I have already knit the body, it should all go more quickly.  I wouldn't even consider this except that I really want this knit, and it was an enjoyable project.

And that's it for today.  I hope all of you have a good week, and that none of your projects have to be frogged for any reason.  :-)

12 comments:

Vera said...

Love those socks. They are like Zebras!! Nice finish.

Dee said...

Yay for great sock patterns. Yours turned out PURR-fectly. (See what I did there? Yeah, I know.....you can unfriend me now. LOL)

Nance said...

I love those socks! They are so attractive and so very wearable looking. Good work.

Sorry to hear about the fate of your sweater. How incredibly frustrating. Ah, well. Come Spring or Summer, who knows what you'll have learned or decided to do?

Have a good week, and let's hope that Autumn has decided to stick around.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Sorry about the frogging session, but the sock looks great!

KSD said...

Evidently, you and I were on the same anger/frustration page yesterday. Here's hoping our weeks and our minds stay un-frogged. . .

Araignee said...

Congrats for the finish and condolences for the demise of your sweater. I had that happen to one of mine and I was so furious after days of trying to fix it that I took the scissors to it in a fit of rage. Ahh....the early days of menopause. I don't miss the fireworks but I'm still wondering 18 years later if those hot flashes ever really go away.

karen said...

beautiful pair of socks with the purrfect name (snort).

Shirley said...

I love your socks! So pretty and will be so nice in the fall and winter. We had several days of fall weather but it ended yesterday. Record high today and no foreseeable change in the 10 day forecast. I keep telling myself we are at the end of summer - just hang on. Hope your week goes well!

Kym said...

Your socks are GREAT! I am a total sucker for black and white -- and those are just perfect. You're being an awfully good sport about your linen sweater, I must say. That "helper" was NOT HELPFUL in any way. My goodness! "Triage?" I think not . . .
Hope your week is off to a good start. After a very hot and not-at-all-fall-like week, a lot of cool air blew in today. Maybe it's headed your way???

AsKatKnits said...

Kudo's on those adorable socks! And, it seems like Fall is anxious to usher Summer on her merry way! Cooler weather is in our forecast this week and I hope it is heading your way!

kathy b said...

Frogging is a bummer. Im so sorry. Good for you that you are carrying on!!!! I had been doing too much and need to knit more!

Mereknits said...

Frogging can be sad but also freeing as that yarn will become something new. So sorry about the triage and how it did not help. Love your new socks. Happy Fall!