11 September 2019

Unexpected Unraveling

I'm joining Kat and everyone today for Unraveled Wednesday.  This time, it actually involves some unraveling, which in the end is OK, but which is also something that was not really fun to do.

Before we get into that, here is what I am currently reading:


So far I'm only a few pages in, but I already like it and hopefully that will continue.  I've been wanting to read it since it came out, and my turn on the library hold list finally happened.

On to the unraveling ...

I had been making slow but steady progress on my Pabaig, and had separated for the sleeves, and [I thought] I had finished the front knitting.  I went to start the back, and when I reviewed the pattern instructions, I thought to myself, "Hm, I don't remember it going that way."  But since I had also been working on other projects, I just figured I wasn't remembering the details.  I got a few rows in, and looked at the instructions again, and realized that I had misinterpreted them for the front, and I would end up with two badly mismatched sides of the sweater!  Ugh.  So off to the frog pond, where I went back to the first row after separating for the sleeves, and started over.  

As a result, it looks like the red blob of before, but with a bit more length.  Sigh.


However, since I discovered it before thinking I was nearly finished, it didn't bother me as much, and I'm moving right along again.  So the whole thing will take a bit longer, but since I hadn't really given myself a deadline, I'll just finish it when I finish it, with no regrets.

But I would like to point out that the yarn IS fingering weight, so there was a lot more to rip out and it took a stupid amount of time.  Such is life.

******

It occurred to me today that with it being the 18th anniversary of the September 11 attacks, any child born that year is starting their first year of college this year (if they decided to go to college in the first place).  Which means in some ways, an entire lifetime has passed since that horrible, sad day.  Time really does go on, no matter how much it stands still for you when something awful happens.  I hope for the survivors and all of the families affected, that they have reached the point where the first memories of their loved ones are the best and not the saddest.

Don't forget to say I love you today.  This day is a reminder that tomorrow doesn't always come.

7 comments:

Vera said...

Can't wait to see your finished Pabaigh - looks like a fun pattern. And...I just requested "Himself" from my local library - looks good!

Nance said...

My perception of Time is always muddled. That the Tragedy happened 18 years ago seems impossible to me. It is already American History Un-Experienced to so many, like so many Wars and Movements. Incomprehensible.

Your Pabaigh yarn is completely gorgeous. Something made with that--you want it to be perfect.

Off to look at "Himself" for Myself.

AsKatKnits said...

I think your Pabaigh is looking wonderful! (and yay for catching a mistake as soon as you did!)

Araignee said...

I read Himself last winter and LOVED it. It was wild and weird and just what I needed at the time.

Shirley said...

The color of yarn you are using for Pabaigh is beautiful. It is great when you love a book at the very beginning. Hope it only gets better.

kathy b said...

Lovingly put Bridget. Your red sweater and the hat on the side bar appear to be the same color. WOW. Lotsa red!

Jane said...

Red is always a good color - especially in the winter. I am off to look at Himself. Thank you for the reminder that sometimes tomorrow doesn't come.