16 September 2019

Some Good, Some Frustrating, and a Whole Lotta Floss!

It was a lovely and also a frustrating weekend.  We had good weather, we got to spend some great time together, and I got some things accomplished even if they were not major activities.

And then it was frustrating - though the good outweighed the frustrating, thank goodness!

Saturday we got an early start, and took Hamlet to the Wissahickon Trail for a nice long walk.  The Wissahickon Trail is part of Fairmount Park here in Philadelphia, and if someone dropped you onto the trail from a spaceship, it would never ever occur to you that you were actually smack dab in the middle of a major city.  We had a good walk, and Hamlet loved seeing other people, pups, and ducks.  I was kind if disappointed that we didn't see any horses, but maybe next time.

The funniest thing was when we first arrived.  We parked the car on the end of a street right near the trail.  When we let Hamlet out of the car, he excitedly ran up to the door of an apartment building right there, as if to say, "I just know these people will be excited to meet me!"  It took us about 5 minutes to convince him that we weren't visiting anyone.  :-)

On our way home, we stopped in Manayunk at Hidden River Yarns, to pick up some knitting of mine that I was finally getting back.  You may or may not remember that last summer, I was knitting the Edie pattern, and when I went to do the sleeves - the very last part - one of them had all of the stitches off of the spare yarn where I had placed them.  (I suspect cats, but have no proof.)  I spent a lot of time trying to recover things, but finally had to admit defeat. I pollled my knitting friends, and someone volunteered.  Well, over the course of the last year, every time I would ask about it, she was "going to get to it," and finally I just said please return it.  So she returned it to Lisa at Hidden River, and Lisa performed "triage" so that I should be able to finish it (finally!).  So I stopped and retrieved it.  But today when I pulled it out to see what was/was not done, I was missing the pattern and some of the dpns!  So I messaged Lisa, and she is going to check when she is in the shop on Tuesday to see if they are still there.  I'm kind of annoyed - though NOT at Lisa - because the person who had it didn't seem to take very good care of it, or the project bag I was using.  But hopefully I'll be able to finish it soon, wash the project bag, and wear the top next summer.  Suffice it to say this was the frustrating part of the weekend.

Moving back to good things, I did finish one foot on one of the socks I'm knitting, and am nearly finished with the foot of the other one.  So I'm guessing that these may be finished by next weekend.


Forgive the smushed-up appearance of them - I just pulled them out of the project bag to take a photo and didn't do anything to "arrange" them.  I've been enjoying knitting this pair!

Today, I decided that I would undertake a project that could get me prepared to start my next cross-stitch project.  My mother was a major and prolific cross-stitcher, and I inherited her supplies.*  So before I bought any floss for my next project, I decided to pull out what I already had, because maybe I wouldn't need to buy any, or at least not much.

The stuff had been in the basement, so the binder-type things that the floss had been stored in were in questionable shape, and the floss, though fine, was musty.  I washed the binders and they are hanging up to dry.   And then I needed to figure out a way to hang up the floss so that it could air out, but even more importantly, out of the reach of kitties.  So currently there is a whole lot of floss hanging in various locations on our third floor!









You know, just a few things to choose from ... !!!

It may take me as long to organize and put it away again as it takes to make my next project. :-)  But I'm glad I have it and that it's in good condition, because it reminds me of my mom, and she would be happy to think that even though it's been just sitting for years and years, that I'm using it now.

I do wish that the weekend had felt longer, but it was a pretty good one overall, so I really can't complain.  This week I have a gynecology appt this afternoon, and a dental appointment on Friday, so it's a week of things not all that pleasant, but necessary and then hopefully taken care of for a while.

I hope your week will be a good one - if you are lucky, leaving out any medical stuff!

*One of these days, I'll do a post and show you some of her work.  My sisters and I all have some of it, and it's so beautiful.

12 comments:

Bonny said...

That is some colorful washing hung up to dry! Washing and organizing your mother's floss may take a while, but it will be well worth the time.

Nance said...

Maybe someone Hamlet's previous owners knew lived at that address, and he used to visit there.

I had a similar experience to your unfinished sweater, but with an heirloom that needed repair. A relative offered to do the work, and I gave it to her, trusting that it would be in good hands. Years went by. Finally, I asked for it back, no matter if it was repaired or not. It wasn't, and I was told that she didn't have the proper sewing machine to do such repairs.

Why she took it and offered in the first place, I have no idea.

Araignee said...

Oh, wow....that is some floss stash!! I just gave mine a good organization and was surprised to see how little I actually have. My mom loved to cross stitch too but I never found any of her supplies after she passed away. I imagine Daddio must have chucked it. Too bad.

AsKatKnits said...

Hamlet would be a welcome guest at any household, just saying! On my morning walks, I usually meet up with a charming neighbor and his golden retriever... and she patiently waits for him to say it is okay to come and say good morning to me. Best part of the day, if you ask me!

Vera said...

I was in Fairmount Park on Saturday! Was such a pretty weekend, wasn't it? Even with the overcast Saturday, it was nice. I love seeing all your floss drying/airing out - so colorful and cheerful!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Lol! I love all that floss hanging around -it's so festive!

Dee said...

It's cool that you are able to use your mom's supplies. Can't wait to see what you are going to make.

Kim in Oregon said...

I envy your floss stash! One of my fall goals is to organize mine.

Shirley said...

Love those new socks that are almost complete. Beautiful color and design. That is quite a collection of floss from your Mom. Once you get it all sorted, you can stitch lots of projects.

KSD said...

I would completely forget all the places I put that floss. "I KNOW I had some 334! I KNOW IT!"

Kym said...

The floss is just lovely . . . hanging there! I can't wait to see what you stitch with it, and think it's so cool that you have your mother's supplies. It will be (sort of) like stitching with her! And . . . that silly Hamlet! Such a lovely and loving dog. XO

karen said...

I inherited all of my mom's knitting and cross stitching stuff. I cannot get rid of it no matter what (nor do I want to). I really should knit with the ancient yarn sometime soon.