01 October 2020

October Is Here, Make It a Good Month!


Hello and Happy October 1!  One of my favorite months of the year, hands down!  On my way to work this a.m., I was thinking of how this is the day I first becamse someone's aunt - my nephew Chad was born 51 years ago today.  That was a big year for better and for worse in our family, but Chad's arrival was definitely the highlight.  Now he's a big shot attorney in Tucson, Arizona, so I don't really see or hear from him that often, but boy did we have fun when he was a little kid!  That was when I made a conscious decision to become the favorite aunt through buying the love of my nieces and nephews, and I have to say, it continues, even with their kids.  I think it also helped that we don't have any children, so whenever we would see any of them, there was no one else to grab our attention.  But I can highly recommend buying the love of nieces and nephews, if you are wondering ... 😉

Anyway, today I've decided to take part in Three on Thursday with Carole and others.  I'm sharing three things I will never understand that seem to be huge problems to other people.

1.  Dealing with negativity on social media.  Oh I know it's there, and I know it can be devastating.  What I don't understand is how/why people don't just avoid it.  All social media sites allow you to choose who/what you follow.  You are the one in charge of your account.  So if someone offends you, disagrees with you, upsets you, whatever, unfriend, unfollow, or even block them.  Don't follow news or other sites that are nothing but dreck, or misinformed, or negative.  I am still all too well aware of all the awful people/awful news in the world, but I don't torture myself by re-reading/reliving it every time I look at a post on social media.  You're an adult, and it's up to you to do what you can to keep your sanity.  Also, in spite of what so many seem to think, you are also not required to spend time on social media.  At all, even ever.  I am not a perfect person by any means, but I guess I am much more selective about how I use social media and who I choose to connect with, so that even though occasionally something comes up, I'm not in a stressed-out tizzy all day, every day (at least not about that!).  And granted, some days I waste a ton of time on the computer, but most of the time, I just check in a few times.  It's not that difficult.

2.  People who complain about the cold, but refuse to wear warmer clothes.  It's starting to cool off considerably here in Philadelphia, as happens when autumn comes along.  I know more than one person who is already complaining about how uncomfortable they are.  One of them absolutely refuses to ever wear socks, being of the belief that "women shouldn't wear socks."  (Yeah, I don't get it either.)  So all she complains about is that her feet are cold all winter.  No sh*t, Sherlock, what do you expect?  Another doesn't want to spend money on a winter coat, because she grew up in southern Alabama, and "never needed one."  Fine.  Except this isn't southern Alabama, and it gets cold here, so if you aren't going to do one basic thing to keep yourself warm, No.One.Cares.  As they say in southern Alabama, Bless her heart.

3.  The whole "Pull Yourself Up By Your Bootstraps" thing.  You know the argument that people who are poor or depressed or unemployed, etc. just aren't trying hard enough.  There will always be people who really can't be bothered to try hard at anything.  But most people try the best they are able to do.  Plenty do not have BOOTS much less the proverbial BOOTSTRAPS in the first place.  I think everyone needs to think of another saying - "If you want peace, work for justice."  

Get a grip, everyone.  No one else is you, just as you are no one else.  I know it's something that is really hard for me to remember (due to living in a completely Bridget-centric world at least in my head), but if I can manage it, so can you.

Let's all try to do better in October, OK?

10 comments:

Nance said...

I think it would be much, much easier for everyone to ignore social media if it were not now influencing real life.

I, for one, am increasingly weary of having random tweets read to me on the news, not only written by politicians but by any doodah off the street who has hashtagged the station's call sign or whatever in order to weigh in on the story. And we all know about facebook's undue influence in politics and the elections.

Now, people not wearing coats? That is definitely a jr. high and highschool thing. When school lets out, there's rarely anything heavier than a hoodie on anyone, even when the snow is flying and piled up.

Araignee said...

I had to step away from social media for the last few weeks and just live in Blogland where everyone seems to still have manners.

KSD said...

You have to be able to afford a pair of boots before you can pull on their straps.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

OMG. Sometimes I really think we are the same person because your thoughts are so much like mine!

I will make only one small counterpoint to your first point. Sometimes its good to read stuff you don't agree with, even if it pisses you off. 1) It's always wise to have an idea of what the enemy is up to, but more importantly, 2)it's good to challenge your own thinking/point of view from time to time. The more we stick around with people who think, feel, act exactly how we do, it alters your perception of the world, and it makes it harder to understand where others are coming from... there was a really good article that came out around the last US election about it, and of course, now I can't find it! There are lines in the sand of course... no murderers, rapists, hard-core white supremacists.
Of course, if reading stuff you don't agree with ruins your entire day, it's definitely best to walk away!

Shirley said...

Wonderful thoughts! October is my favorite month and fall is my favorite season. I enjoy social media but, like you suggest, I am very selective about who/what I follow. It is a great way to stay in touch with extended family members who do not live in the area. Also, reading a few posts with photos of dogs and cats makes me smile and improves my mood.

thehandwrittenthankyounote said...

Oh My God, all of it, but especially your #2 (because I have teenagers....and they have a bit in common with your Socks and Alabama characters) is refreshing for me!!! Thank you for making me nod along—and laugh. And what an absolutely gorgeous picture at the top of your post....

Minerva said...

All three are valid. I decided long ago to ignore the negativity of others on social media. There is really no point to respond. Happy birthday to your nephew!

Meditations in Motion said...

Ha! I love your plan to buy your nieces' and nephews'attention. I do the same with my grandkids! :)

Every time I get sucked into a negative exchange on social media, I kick myself and promise - never again! I now no longer comment on anything even remotely political. I just stick to the running posts.

karen said...

October is going to be the best month Ever! I agree on all of your bullet points.

kathy b said...

I love Ann Lamott. I will check out her book. I bet my daughter has read it.